Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just FYI, I have a friend with a 2001 330xi that is having the same problem. One light flickers occasionally. I put in my spare LCM for them and the flickering hasn't come back since, so they're ordering a replacement LCM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Just FYI, I have a friend with a 2001 330xi that is having the same problem. One light flickers occasionally. I put in my spare LCM for them and the flickering hasn't come back since, so they're ordering a replacement LCM.

Sheeeeeet. How much are those? A couple hundred I'd suppose aye?

So the lcm is the light switch on the dash? Or is that something else?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

From what I found online when those begin to go out the lights flicker at the same time is that incorrect?

Id hate to have to drop a couple hundred bucks again. Im just now recovering from all the other maintenance I've had to do lately. If the lcm is the culprit I suppose I should start saving my pennies...

Im just not sure how to diagnose the issue which is what bugs me. I fiddled around with the wiring today and tried to get it to flicker while parked hoping it was just a loose connection but got nothing.

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    So the lcm is the light switch on the dash? Or is that something else?

Yes, the LCM is the Light Control Module. It is the actual module that your light switch connects to (the switch itself is a separable piece from the actual module itself). You may also hear it referred to as the LSZ (German naming for it).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Yes, the LCM is the Light Control Module. It is the actual module that your light switch connects to (the switch itself is a separable piece from the actual module itself). You may also hear it referred to as the LSZ (German naming for it).
    Is there anyway to determine if it is the culprit to my problems without simply buying another module?

'01 330i

You'd have to diagnose the issue of course. Checking the grounds would be my first bet. Then, swap ballasts if affecting only one side just to make sure. If grounds and ballasts check out, I think the LCM would be the next bet. I'm not sure if the ignitor would be a suspect.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

You'd have to diagnose the issue of course. Checking the grounds would be my first bet. Then, swap ballasts if affecting only one side just to make sure. If grounds and ballasts check out, I think the LCM would be the next bet. I'm not sure if the ignitor would be a suspect.

Im completely at a loss as to where the ballasts and grounds are, guess I have some researching to do.

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    Im completely at a loss as to where the ballasts and grounds are, guess I have some researching to do.

The ballasts are underneath the headlight assembly if I remember correctly. They attach to it, so getting to them is a PITA if you have cold weather package (those stupid nozzle covers and nozzles leak all over the friggin' place).

If you don't want to go thru the hassle, I can send you my spare LCM when my friend is done and ordered up to help you diagnose (though it might take me a while to make it to the post office on time). Be warned though; if you have a pre-facelift (which it looks like you do, 2001) then the rear running lights will be extra dim. The brake lights and turn signals will work fine, but the running lights will be almost non-visible at night, so I wouldn't recommend driving at night with my LCM in place. The reason for this is that there are differences in the functionality of the rear tail lights between pre- and facelift models. The front headlights and turn signals will work perfectly.
    My LCM is from my car, a 2005.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

The ballasts are underneath the headlight assembly if I remember correctly. They attach to it, so getting to them is a PITA if you have cold weather package (those stupid nozzle covers and nozzles leak all over the friggin' place).

If you don't want to go thru the hassle, I can send you my spare LCM when my friend is done and ordered up to help you diagnose (though it might take me a while to make it to the post office on time). Be warned though; if you have a pre-facelift (which it looks like you do, 2001) then the rear running lights will be extra dim. The brake lights and turn signals will work fine, but the running lights will be almost non-visible at night, so I wouldn't recommend driving at night with my LCM in place. The reason for this is that there are differences in the functionality of the rear tail lights between pre- and facelift models. The front headlights and turn signals will work perfectly.
    My LCM is from my car, a 2005.
    That would be a great help. Would it be easier to remove the headlight itself in order to get to the ballasts?

'01 330i

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast