Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile changing oil for the 1st time....my 'guide' video.. :) Can fam. take a look?

So, I am going to take on the task of changing my own oil in the BMW. (2005 330Ci). I am going to use a different pump, a MityVac 2761.

I have all the things I need, and I am going to use this Youtube video as a guide... I am pretty sure this is also an E46.

Watch it and tell me if this is an ok guide, or should I change anything from the way he does it?

2 things in advance:

1. He doesn't lube the O-ring for the filter housing, I will do that.
    2. I don't have a torque wrench, so I am just going to make a mark on the oil filter housing before I take it off, and then when done, tighten it again until the mark aligns with the original spot...(should be ok I guess)

Here's the video:

2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

If anything, just put a thin coat of oil on the oring. Make sure you put the oring in the groove it came out of. The oil filter cap just needs to be lightly snivied up (I know you know what that means). And if getting under car....be safe bro.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks, sir! I will not be getting under the ZHP for sure...at least I hope so...
    Yeah and thanks for the tip on the 'sniving up'

Oh - does the oil filter have an orientation? does it matter which end fits into the housing cap?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Nope - either end can go up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    Thanks, sir! I will not be getting under the ZHP for sure...at least I hope so...
    Yeah and thanks for the tip on the 'sniving up'

Oh - does the oil filter have an orientation? does it matter which end fits into the housing cap?
    Ryan is correct but I always put it label up.

Hang on to your crush washer...start a lil jar for them.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks for the help so far, guys...
    Keep the comments coming..I will probably tackle this job Wed or Thu this week....

Here are my steps, in case you don't want to be watching a video while your out in the field:

1) oil cap off, dipstick out.
    2) suck out oil through the hole the previously-mentioned dipstick was removed from.
    3) remove oil filter while oil is being drained
    4) remove old oil filter gasket ring thing while oil is still being drained. It takes a bit...
    5) now that it's stopped draining, suck up any oil from filter housing
    6) stick on the new filter to the cap, and prime it with some new oil. Get some new oil on a rag or something and get a thin layer on your new filter housing o-ring and slip it on.
    7) tighten new filter
    8) pour in your new oil to engine
    9) check your oil level after running the car for a few mins
    10) I think that's it...

Anything I missed, folks?

Just re-read what I wrote. Sorry it sucks. Hopefully you didn't need it in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    6) stick on the new filter to the cap, and prime it with some new oil.

How does one 'prime' the filter? Just douse it with oil or what?

Thanks a lot for your post - everything helps me when it's the 1st time

Yeah, just pour some oil over it. It'll drink it up. I almost said "saturate", but I don't usually put a ton on it. Suppose you could though.

No problem! I'm sure it'll go great; nothing to be afraid of

Sent from my iPad using the interwebz.

Autozone.com
    Just a quick question here, but I hear a lot of you guys using pumps to suck the oil out... Doesn't anyone just pull the drain plug and let it run into a pan the old fashioned way? Seems like it'd be a LOT easier this way... Am I missing something?

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast