Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is where I am stuck. I can’t figure out how to detach this plastic part so I can replace the actuator

I’ve got the new part

When pull on the latch switch it makes the same sound as when pushing on the actual actuator button so the physical connection seems to work but the actuator itself isn’t working (my guess anyways since the remote, physical key and interior button will all open the trunk )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 330i E46 with ZHP performance package and cold weather package

So I gave up for now. Could not figure out how to detach the cable. Even pulled off the trunk liner and it provided no additional access.

Gonna do some more searching but what I have found so far is that you need to cut the wires and splice in the new switch wiring

The license plate lights work, so even more sure it isn’t a failed wiring harness but a failed trunk switch.

I even thought that maybe there was an opening behind the BMW badge. No such luck.

The cable from the trunk lift just goes into a black hole in the trunk lid. Really bad design IMHO by BMW to not have a connector for the trunk switch.

There is just no access to the trunk switch wiring even from the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the trunk latch switch is inside the light/trunk button housing, then you'll have to pry it open like what's shown in this video.

The housing itself can be removed from the trunk, there is a connector right underneath that black plastic cover circled in red below. Then the pigtail harness comes out of that hole in your 2nd to last pic, along with the housing.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

I had the same exact problem as you on my car, and it turned out to be a worn trunk release button cover (part #51138236268) and not a bad switch.
    2004 TiAg 330i ZHP 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    I had the same exact problem as you on my car, and it turned out to be a worn trunk release button cover (part #51138236268) and not a bad switch.
    How do you remove the button cover to check?

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    If the trunk latch switch is inside the light/trunk button housing, then you'll have to pry it open like what's shown in this video.

The housing itself can be removed from the trunk, there is a connector right underneath that black plastic cover circled in red below. Then the pigtail harness comes out of that hole in your 2nd to last pic, along with the housing.

Thanks for the link to the video! I tried tugging on the cable from the trunk switch side, and tried to feel all the cables from inside the trunk to determine if something was connected, and I was not successful.

But thanks to your video link I will give it another try next weekend (I usually don't have time during the week)

Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    I just stuck a flathead screwdriver in the gap and pried it out. Comes out pretty easy.
    2004 TiAg 330i ZHP 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Some more confusion for me. According to RealOEM, the "plate" part you identified, is only for models up to 3/2003 (PN 51138236268). I can't seem to find a part for cars newer than 3/2003

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...67#51138236268

Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    I just stuck a flathead screwdriver in the gap and pried it out. Comes out pretty easy.
    I was trying but was afraid I was going to break something. It didn't just "pop out". I will try it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12