Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Intermittent Phantom Coolant Light (yellow)

Comes and goes as old Silvie pleases... Coolant is full/fresh.

Any ideas?

Wondering if PO's angel eye install tied into something that is shorting? But that's a guess without any digging at all.

Thanks in advance.
    '03 330i/6 ZHP TiAg
    2017 Chevy Bolt
    2016 eGolf meh... Gone
    Donated: '97 328i (wife's)
    Sold: Supercharged '96 318 Convertible
    Sold: '05 330/6 ZHP SilverGray

Could be a failing coolant level sensor. They tend to act like this as they are going bad, as they normally fail due to internal shorting.

Good to know- thanks.
    '03 330i/6 ZHP TiAg
    2017 Chevy Bolt
    2016 eGolf meh... Gone
    Donated: '97 328i (wife's)
    Sold: Supercharged '96 318 Convertible
    Sold: '05 330/6 ZHP SilverGray

......But.....I would be watchful of coolant level as well.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Whenever you replace the coolant expansion tank (every 60k miles), be sure to do the sensor as well. The sensor is a common failure item.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

How low does the coolant have to get before it triggers the coolant light? I had to add 400 ml last time and mine failed to notify me, so I'm thinking mine may have failed.

I had the same issue. I replaced the thermostat and everything was fixed. Your thermostat is probably stuck closed. One mechanics diagnosis trick you can do to confirm this is to turn on the car and leave it running for 10 mins. Turn it off then touch the two rad hoses. If the hose on the left (passenger side of radiator) is cool to the touch (compared to the warm driverside rad hose), your thermostat is stuck closed. Solution is to replace your thermostat and make sure the system is bled properly. When topping off the coolant be sure to use a 50/50 mix of OEM BMW Coolant and distilled/de-ionized water.

But before you do this, take the washer fluid level sensor and plug it into the bottom of the expansion tank. These two sensors are the same and are interchangeable. By doing this you eliminate the possibility of a broken coolant sensor. Also to note is that the coolant sensor was changed/updated at some point in E46 production. Depending on when your car was made you may have the old coolant sensor. The new one is light-blue in colour and all plastic and the old one is made more of clear plastic with a visible reed.

Hope this helps.
    Photobucket
    2004 Imolarot 330i ZHP 6spd