Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Big Maintenance Overhaul

So yesterday, the ZHP sounded like the fan was hitting something plastic (rhythmically) whenever I stepped on the gas. Before I even had time to think about it, black smoke started billowing out from the hood and from the exhaust. Right after that, I noticed I was leaving a heavy oil trail.

Parked it a couple seconds later and although the keys were in my hand, about half the oil leaks out.

The good news was, it was the oil filter housing gasket, so that part is only $8.
    Bad news though, I have a few things that don't need to be replaced just yet, but it is definitely better for the longevity of the ZHP to have it done. Besides, the labor for just putting on the gasket is over 30x that price since it's a PITA to remove all the stuff.

One of the transmission lines got cut and so at least that one needs to be replaced along with the gasket.

Besides the first two being for a fix, the others are preventive maintenance:
    Transmission line (x2)
    Oil filter housing gasket
    AC belt
    Alternator pulley
    Tensioner pulley
    Fan clutch
    VANOS line
    Oil change & transmission (leaked a little too)

Will also be needing some Liqui-Moly to replenish the loss as well as for the transmission also.

Altogether, this fix/cost is ridiculous. I don't get how it went from clicking to smoking and finally leaking profusely in a matter of one minute. I never track it, drive it hard, or anything - it's not even at 80,000 miles yet.

Buddies have been telling me to get another car, just not another E46 after stories of fixing my previous one. Now, I'm thinking it's time to really consider it, after all this is fixed and taken care of.

What does the Mafia think?

nike001 Guest
    Your call. I personally think buying another car is just buying another unknown vat of potential problems. At least you know a good amount of what's going on with the ZHP.

If you do decide to sell, first dibs on the strut bar for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Your call. I personally think buying another car is just buying another unknown vat of potential problems. At least you know a good amount of what's going on with the ZHP.

If you do decide to sell, first dibs on the strut bar for $100.
    On the contrary, I'm far from the unknown. I really underestimated my buddy and the guy the ZHP's with at right now. Just through volume of sales and their customers' problems, they were able to tell the following when I mentioned these possible replacements out of the blue.....
    They said:
    S2000: Doesn't matter if it's AP 1 or 2, will need an OS Giken diff (about a $1,500 part) because anything else including factory will die repeatedly, eventually.
    G35/37 (coupe): Engine is bigger on G37 obviously but both engines don't last.
    986 Porsche Boxster S: They approve, for some reason....
    V6 Accord coupe: FWD.
    Lancer Evolution 9th-gen: They approve.
    350Z: Forgot what they said about this one.
    E36 M3: Yes. But I don't like the looks, too antiquated.
    E39 M5: Yes. But same as the E36.
    E46 M3: SMG = death. Even 6-speed: will cost more yearly to fix than the ZHP.

How did a tranny line get cut, from a leaky OFHG?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

nike001 Guest
    I would be hard pressed to trade my car for any of the cars you listed except the M3's/M5. Maybe a tastefully modded S2k, but it has to have a hard top.

Any of the cars on your list wouldn't be worth a switch. They're all going to cost more to fix, but the ///M cars are bulletproof. You're complaining about maintenance on a car that isn't really that tough or costly to maintain. So you blew a OHFG.. big deal. Buy the $8(?) gasket and set aside a DIY day and be done with it.

What's your final price to fix and to do your preventative maintenance you have listed? How many miles are you at and if you're paying a mechanic (all the stuff you listed is very DIY friendly), how much are you paying for that?

Every car has it's problems. You know what has been fixed on this car. Get what you like. That being said, rising maintenance costs are why I sold my e46 M3. I just love the e46 so much I just went out and bought another. smh.
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold

I did the OFHG in 1 hour, 11 minutes.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thats a great preventative maintenance list!

I would've suggested the oil breather system to be replaced as well since you have most of your stuff out anyways. It makes it alot easier with the oil filter housing out of the way.
    Last edited by derbo; 11-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I did the OFHG in 1 hour, 11 minutes.
    We'll see when SIGFest comes up. I may or may not be planning to change mine

I'm very confused...we need some pics of the bay. How did the ofhg cause a trans line to get cut by the engine fan?

Sent from my GSIII, bitches.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast