Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZHP Ride Height

ZHP Ride Height

We have a 2005 ZHP that had a RF strut leaking @ 75K miles. I didn't measure the ride height before it went in - but that might not matter since the strut had given up its gas. When the car came back today, I did verify the correct "sport" struts on the invoice (because of the part #s) - but the ride height did seem high. Besides struts and pads no other parts (such as springs) were changed. I measured 24.5" on the LF (from bottom of rim through the centerline of the wheel to the fender) and 24" on the RF. The car is all OEM, so 18" wheels and 225/40-18PS2s up front. Can anyone comment if this ride height is correct - or close to what you have?

They replaced springs as well?

Keep in mind it will settle a bit over time...say 5k miles.

Someone will measure their stock setup and be along shortly.

I thought JP posted stock measurements somewhere. I will never be able to find as I think its buried in a thread with something else.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Post #10 may give you some sort of an idea.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262384

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

No, the springs remain the same, just new struts and pads. I do know that the coils are shorter (10mm?) - but nowhere in the manual does it give you ride height specs for the ZHP - just overall height of 330 and 325. I could meaure that and subtract about 0.4" but probably better to compare to what other members are experiencing. I do assume some settle in will occur - just trying to figure out if what I have now is close to others. I'm looking at this because when my 1999 740is had its struts replaced there were major differences in ride height that BMW could not explain.

It's possible to install the strut without seating it all the way into the knuckle and that would increase your ride height. If new strut mounts are installed, they could increase ride height slightly if the old ones had sagged. And if the old ones had zero gas charge, the gas pressure might make the new one ride a tad higher. Suppose the new strut is charged at 40 psi and has a piston surface area of 2 sq. inches. That could put an upward pressure on that corner of 80 lbs compared to what the worn strut did. If the front springs have an effective rate of 200 lbs/inch, that might raise that corner by 0.4".

I don't know what the actual gas pressure charge is in a stock strut or what the real spring rate is (though I've seen some estimates of the stock spring rates), but it sounds good in theory! (And if you don't seat the bottom of the strut fully into the knuckle, it will raise your ride height.)

Just did strut replacement on mine about 4500-5000k miles ago and you are right where you need to be height wise I'm actually sitting right were you are at. Trust me I understand your apprehension with the changed ride height... I want mine lower now. If your truely concerned you can have them check to see if the springs were seated correctly as that can have an effect on ride height

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Any chance some of you could measure from the bottom of the rim to the top of the fender arch and report back what you find. Also mention rim diameter and about how many miles on the stuts so that we can adjust for that. I measured again this morning and found about 24.25" for the FL and 24" for the FR. I have 18" rims. The objective is to gain an understanding of age and ride height. With enough data point we could plot a curve and build some confidence limits around the curve to get a sense of where people are and what they can expect.
    Last edited by shendrick; 12-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Measured as requested (bottom of rim, through hub cap, to bottom of fender); I'm all stock* at 93,737 mi:

DF: 23 7/8" PF: 23 5/8"
    DR: 23 1/8" PR: 23 1/8"

*(My driver-side front suspension was replaced with a used sport assembly after my accident; I have no info on how many miles were on it. It appears it's newer than my other struts.)

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Crikett, thanks for the #'s. Now we have 2 data points so now we have a line. As soon as someone else piles on we'll get a curve - which makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
    Crikett, thanks for the #'s. Now we have 2 data points so now we have a line. As soon as someone else piles on we'll get a curve - which makes more sense.
    X axis is wear, and Y is time/age?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast