Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZHP acting weird...

So I start the car up this morning, pretty cold out and haven't driven her in a day. Car starts up and immediately has a rough idle and my SES light came on. The car was bouncing from 1k to 500 rpm here and there, whole car was vibrating, and overall not a pleasant sound. I let the car warm up as much as I could before I'd be late to class and then I drove off. This is where it got worse. It wasn't just an idle issue. The whole car was driving very rough. It's like it was running on 3 cyls. I finally let it fully warm up and gave it some gas up till around 4k rpm. Extremely rough pull and hardly any power whatsoever.

Here's where it gets weird.... In the back of my head I didn't understand how it could just run like that all of a sudden. So I park the car and shut her off. I wait 30 sec and start it back up. Car was idling fine, no SES light, and revved fine. What the hell?!

Looks like ill be changing the plugs and perhaps clean the ICV. But any idea what else could be wrong?
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-MINI-Cooper-S
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

It's funny how many times I hears symptoms like that and ask about the battery. It could be that. Although, my car has done that and a restart fixed it too. It's like if it just didn't quite start the way it should, something didn't quite just connect right, so a restart does the trick. No biggie and nothing to worry about. But again, a bad battery could definitely cause those symptoms. Ask me how I know.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That is exactly what I was thinking. Although the battery was replaced just a few months ago.
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

nike001 Guest
    Doesnt seem like an ICV or a plugs issue.

Get the codes. Seems more like a misfire due to a bad coil.

when cars have modern computers modern computer problems are going to pop up. there was probably some windows XP style error message popping up in the CPU which was resolved when you restarted. haha :P
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Doesnt seem like an ICV or a plugs issue.

Get the codes. Seems more like a misfire due to a bad coil.
    That's what a friend said as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    when cars have modern computers modern computer problems are going to pop up. there was probably some windows XP style error message popping up in the CPU which was resolved when you restarted. haha :P
    Hmm. Anyway I can switch to OSX on the bimmer?
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

You said you hadn't driven it in a day. Did the outside temp drastically change during the last time you ran it until this morning? I am only hypothesizing, but maybe the drastic temp change caused the computer to freak for a moment and struggled to get the fuel mixture right...? Even though the light is now off, it should still have the code that popped in it's memory and a reader should still be able to pull it and give some insight to what the cause was...

I would check battery and coils, I seriously doubt multiple plugs would all foul at the same time.

One question, were you very low on gas? If so your fuel system could be at fault

Yea it was in the low 50's the day before when I drove it... and then 33 degrees today.

I have a half tank, so I'm not low on gas.
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

I have had this happen too.....It seems when cold the connection on the M.A.S. doesnt like the cold......Nothing wrong with the car just sometimes in the cold the connection isnt too happy.....

Doesnt sound like a coil pack as it will stay with a CEL and misfire..... As JOHNRANDO would say "Ask me How I know" = )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast