Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One Halogen Light Out - Not the Bulb!

Hi Fam:

So I was driving home in the dark yesterday and turned on the Trifecta Light Mod (thanks again BP!), and a few miles from home I get the cluster warning telling me that I have a headlight out. Car has Xenons as primary lighting with the halogen as the passing, DRL, or extra light with brights with coding. Figured that it was probably just a bulb, but after taking the old one out and installing a new one, still no light on either Trifecta bright setting or with all lights off and pulling the indicator stalk back, as one would do to signal a pass, etc. Oddly enough the passenger side is working fine in both cases.

Side notes - car has 62,000 miles on it, and I have yet to do the ground wire fix in the passenger side rear.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this problem and where I should begin?

-Brettski

Did you switch the bulbs from side to side with the known defective one?

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Can you trace the cable back? Maybe it's loose somewhere. Do they have different fuses?
    "Cam"

2009 Ultrasonic Blue Mica/Alpine White ISF
    1998 Nassau Blue/Grey C5 Corvette 6spd Sold
    2003 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i ZHP 6spd Sold
    2002 TiAg/Black M3 6spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Did you switch the bulbs from side to side with the known defective one?

Thanks Justin. Well, old bulb that was removed appeared to be intact, but I tossed it anyway. New bulb is in a two-pack of H7's and looks good, but I have not swapped sides as the bulb housing is for people with midget hands with the Xenons next door. I wish they were as easy to work with as the E36!

Quote Originally Posted by Torxuvin View Post
    Can you trace the cable back? Maybe it's loose somewhere. Do they have different fuses?
    I suppose that's possible that it could be a loose wire connection, but I would be really surprised if this was the issue. Doubt that wire chafe would be a culprit here either given the mileage. Have yet to dive into the fuses, but that may be next. Bentley manual for bedtime reading...

-Brettski

Like J said, swap bulbs and ballasts/ignitor side to side. Beyond that it would be in the wiring.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Any rodents that would hole up for winter?

Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Thank you all for the ideas and feedback. I went one further with this, and powered up the old bulb which I had removed off of a 12 volt power source in the garage. Turns out that the old bulb was good after all. Anyway, I pulled the plug off the back of the new H7 in the car, added some dielectric grease, and have reinstalled it. Seems to be working for the time being. I am still suspicious that somehow with the tail light ground recall (not yet having been corrected) that this is causing a ground-related fault in the system, as I occasionally see the check control display the right rear light out for a few seconds when I first start the car. This is not every time, but maybe about 25% of the time. Otherwise it may be related to the bulb monitoring system in general - also known as the old check control system. Perhaps it thinks that the bulb is getting too hot and is shutting it down. Wouldn't want to see any burnt bowls...

Maybe this just means I just need to drive really fast all the time. Officer: "Son, DO you know how fast you were going?" Me: "Yes Officer, just fast enough to keep the lights on in my ZHP!"

DW - Is there a ballast for the inner halogens? I know that we have them for the Xenons, but want to be 100%.

-Brettski

Not sure Brett. I'd have to look on realoem.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Not sure Brett. I'd have to look on realoem.

Thanks DW, I read through the exploded parts views of the lights in the Bentley Manual and didn't see anything, but I thought that maybe you had had them apart in the past. I can check Realoem.

-Brettski

There would be no ballast or ignitor for a halogen bulb. You can simply apply 12V to it and it will light up. Unless you had switched to a Xenon "H7 style" bulb. Then there would be. But then it wouldn't be halogen.

Edit - Just though of this. Try checking out the bulb holder. I have seen the connections inside the bulb holder get burnt and then not function properly. You could try swapping that from left to right also and see if the problem follows. That is, if you didn't notice any when you added the grease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast