Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Rest SES Light

Rest SES Light

Going to have to take my car to inspections tomorrow. Can I reset my light using a standard OBD 2 scanner? Or is there a special one?

You can reset your OBD2 light with a scanner, but your car requires 6 drive cycles of different lengths to get the readiness codes to reset. IIRC, CA employees IM240 emissions testing, so you're not going to get away with just clearing your SES light and showing up. Might want to investigate a little bit and see what it would take to cure your SES light. There are (expensive and unethical) ways to get around this, but in my opinion it's not worth the hassle. If you have more questions, let me know.
    -Ben
    IM240 licensed inspection technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lespaulman16 View Post
    You can reset your OBD2 light with a scanner, but your car requires 6 drive cycles of different lengths to get the readiness codes to reset. IIRC, CA employees IM240 emissions testing, so you're not going to get away with just clearing your SES light and showing up. Might want to investigate a little bit and see what it would take to cure your SES light. There are (expensive and unethical) ways to get around this, but in my opinion it's not worth the hassle. If you have more questions, let me know.
    -Ben
    IM240 licensed inspection technician
    My front end was taken apart. There is nothing wrong with the car. When I got the car, there was no light. Can I just drive it around a little bit without resetting? Will it clear by itself?

EDIT: Repair guy started taking car apart and remembered to unplug the battery a little late. There are no issues as far as I know.

What? You saying you won't pass SMOG with an SES light on? I didn't even know they checked that.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by SmogTips.com
    My car's check engine light is on. Will I fail the smog test?
    Contrary to public belief, the check engine light, malfunction indicator lamp, or service engine soon light being constantly illuminated is an automatic smog failure. Vehicle manufacturers have placed the check engine light inside the passenger compartment to inform the driver that there has been an engine or drivetrain malfunction.
    This is from a common website, in reference to SMOG testing.

The light 'will not' clear without you taking action. You can take it to Advance and often times they will take care of it for you. If you had everything taken apart, then the shop who did the work should take care of you... it's just bad customer service to do anything else.

That said though, when you reset your SEL, it resets what are called readiness codes within the DME. Rediness codes let the state's computer know that the MIL/SEL has been reset recently, and the car has not had the oppertunity to perform all the specific checks it does to monitor emissions output. The car tests itself for many emissions related worrys and saves that data within the DME. The state is notified of the presence of this data by the ready codes.

If you don't reset your light, you will fail smog every time you go in to be tested.

If you reset your light, you need to drive for a few days before you go in to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lespaulman16 View Post
    This is from a common website, in reference to SMOG testing.

The light 'will not' clear without you taking action. You can take it to Advance and often times they will take care of it for you. If you had everything taken apart, then the shop who did the work should take care of you... it's just bad customer service to do anything else.

That said though, when you reset your SEL, it resets what are called readiness codes within the DME. Rediness codes let the state's computer know that the MIL/SEL has been reset recently, and the car has not had the oppertunity to perform all the specific checks it does to monitor emissions output. The car tests itself for many emissions related worrys and saves that data within the DME. The state is notified of the presence of this data by the ready codes.

If you don't reset your light, you will fail smog every time you go in to be tested.

If you reset your light, you need to drive for a few days before you go in to be tested.
    Had my boss drive it 80 miles w/ his dealer plates. Codes were reset. Smog passed. Oddly enough, the SES light was the ambient temperature sensor. I didn't even know that could toss a SES code....Anyway. All good in the hood, no need for anymore help. Thank you!

Les, please check my thread here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-Disa-vanos-or

Need some help.