Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Disa, vanos, or?

First of all, I am not getting any codes. Car passed smog easy.

Whenever I give a decent level of throttle around 2.5k-5k, my throttle beings to pulsate. Really weird feeling. Also, when I turn off the car, I get a clicking sound in the engine. Clicks 4-7 times.

Help a brother out. I get the feeling these are somehow connected.

Somebuddy on E46F suggested fuel pump gon' die thoon.
    Last edited by Avetiso; 12-18-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Don't be shy.

When people talk about the DME update problem or the DISA problem they usually describe a single dip in power that recovers. Can you locate the clicking? Almost sounds like a fuel pressure problem.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    When people talk about the DME update problem or the DISA problem they usually describe a single dip in power that recovers. Can you locate the clicking? Almost sounds like a fuel pressure problem.
    I'll try to find the clicking today. It's not a single dip, tho. It's a few seconds long of a pulsating feeling in the throttle.

I'm thinking wsmeyer is onto something. I had a friend have a similar sympton with his Z4.. He didn't mention this clicking noise. We addressed it by doing a DME update. Unfortunately he hasn't called me since This means his car is working fine

-Terry

The DISA and DME recall is one single dip at 4,000 rpm. Otherwise it can be a bunch of stuff... Maybe clogged fuel filter? Clogged injectors? Vacuum leaks (intake boots, VCG). I've never driven a car with a bad VANOS so I can't comment on that but it could definitely be an issue. Think of your mileage and the maintenance schedule we follow and see what probably hasn't been done by PO. If your DISA is OE and DME isn't the latest (7561520) I'd probably tackle that first, as the latest DME is a world of difference in throttle response, smoothness and MPG compared to the OE versions.

Fuel pump usually dies at 120k. Definitely wouldn't make it a priority right now. All the 7-9 y.o. dry and cracked rubbers and plastics are probably more worthy of your attention
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

The DME update might be able to fix that throttle pulsation you speak of. Mine does a similar thing.

Not sure about your clicking, though.

How can I get my DME updated? It does not look like my PO maintained this car well (one of the ills of buying from an auction, but I am more than willing to cover his sins). I understand there is an SIB post for me to use, but my car is not under warranty. What would it cost to get this done?

Looks like I just have a bucket list of stuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'm thinking wsmeyer is onto something. I had a friend have a similar sympton with his Z4.. He didn't mention this clicking noise. We addressed it by doing a DME update. Unfortunately he hasn't called me since This means his car is working fine

-Terry
    It is always like that, huh? Thank you for the help. Gonna try a DME update.

When my car needed the DME update it had the miss at between 2800 to 3000 rpm under anything over about 1/2 throttle in the higher gears. It only affected that small rpm range. It was a major engine miss/misfire, easily felt, on and off sensation. Updating to the newest DME software cured it completely. Doesn't sound like what you're describing though.

When you say the throttle pulsates, do you mean the actual pedal or is it the engine pulsating? How many miles are on your car? It kinda sounds like what people describe with a failing fuel pump but that's just a guess. Maybe Dane or someone that has had a fuel pump go out might have a better idea.

Barry

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast