Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    I am taking from the thread and looking at the magazine where it mentions the SIGs - so, the CCA is making the decision on whether a web forum of like minded members (with or without a ZHP) is open or not. So, my question is...were there SIGs before the internet? And, is having a web forum/group a requirement these days?

None of this matters since the decision was made a long time ago and there doesn't seem to be a real desire to go back.
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

ZHP Mafia SIG Status

Quote Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
    Were there SIGs before the Interwebz?
    Yes. Some are very old and require a yearly membership/magazine due.

The hypocrisy in this decision is hilarious to me...

When we became a SIG, we had an open forum. It was the closed registration of the forum that got BMWCCA's attention. It was their position that we should be open -- and that we should accept all comers.

Not all SIGs have a Web site, though. Ironically, I am guessing that if we did not have a Web site, and only had a club that met, we'd still be a SIG (assuming they ever admitted us in the first place).

Regardless of how it all turned out, having a closed forum (that's easy to join), works for us. BMWCCA members are still able to join our forum. All they do is shoot me an email and let me know that they would like to join. 99.9% of the time I respond by asking them for a proposed screen name. BMWCCA could not accept this method. They decided that, in order to be a SIG, we needed a fully open forum where anyone could join.

My guess is that if we had an open forum and kicked people out from time to time that BMWCCA would have had an issue with that as well -- especially if a BMWCCA member was the recipient of that ass kicking.

So, in the end, it really became a situation where BMWCCA said that they'd like us to conform to their rules. We were not interested. We went our own ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    By the way, one of the board members runs another forum. He says that they have put all kinds of safeguards in place to prevent spammers from getting on to the site. I certainly appreciate that board member's time and definitely appreciated the suggestions. However, in the end, we're not reopening this forum to people who can't behave themselves and conduct themselves in a mature and professional manner.

During the second half of 2012 I was rarely around the site. Keith wasn't around that much, either. Dane pretty much handled this forum on his own.

I believe that he was able to do that, though, because the membership is tremendous at policing itself. You guys stand for the same things that we stand for. As such, you don't tolerate trouble. Moreover, you don't cause trouble. I believe, at this point, that Dane, Keith, and I could walk away as moderators and have this forum run pretty smoothly. That's saying a lot. I don't think most forums could pull that off. Too many morons have been allowed to stick around forums. But for moderators, those morons on other forums would be going crazy and running amok.

I'm pleased to say that I could not imagine our forum ever being anything other than fun, respectful, and safe.
    I love this forum. Long live the mafia

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617