Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you take your oil cap off, when your car is idling, it will stumble and may stall.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    I'm pretty sure your car would be much happier if it didn't have to recirculate those gasses back through the intake

There's a reason you'll never see any sort of crankcase recirculation system on a race car, unless of course it's required by the regs.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Ryan.......That just doesn't look right. I don't care how much a car is driven. I would look into CCV valve issue.

Can't moisture like that "Hydro-lock" an engine?
    Yeah, I don't really understand how it can be totally normal, even though people imply that it is with a lot of short trips. I'm going to monitor how long it takes to come back, and see if I can't hold off on the ccv replacement until spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly from back when I did the vanos, there's an oil cap gasket that I think sits inside the crankcase cove. Maybe that's shot and letting small amounts of cold air in?

Did it once to do the plastic bag test recommended by Beisan to test for bad CCV. I don't remember that happening. And I saw a ZHP owner drive AutoX in San Diego once without his oil cap. He didn't notice until the cap fell onto the exhaust manifold, melted, and began smoking...
    I'm pretty sure if you take your oil cap off, when your car is idling, it will stumble and may stall.

Ok. I thought if ccv was working properly it would suck bag in about 1/2" but no more?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I remember once I started the car without the cap after changing the oil, but I don't remember it stalling. It idled weirdly, but I really don't think it stalled. (This was quite a few years ago, so I may not be remembering it correctly)

Do you guys that have the short commute and seen this problem adjust your oil change intervals at all and do you think it helps? I change mine often at no more than 5k but I now have a longer drive to work (35-40min vs 10-15 before) and I've never seen this on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmeryota View Post
    Do you guys that have the short commute and seen this problem adjust your oil change intervals at all and do you think it helps? I change mine often at no more than 5k but I now have a longer drive to work (35-40min vs 10-15 before) and I've never seen this on mine.
    You don't see it because of your longer commute. This is guaranteed to happen if you drive short distances all the time. I don't know if changing the oil type will help, but changing it more often is unlikely to do anything. This is caused by condensation, not by the oil, which is why I think making any changes to your oil isn't going to yield a different result. I haven't changed the oil type or interval between when I first noticed it and now. The difference is that when I first noticed it, long drives would allow it to evaporate and the mustard/mayo would disappear. Now, it doesn't disappear, so I think something else is wrong besides this.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'm wondering if once it starts, it builds up in the CCV not allowing it to continue evaporate as well as it used to? Just a theory...

So I'm all set to replace my ccv system... parts are being delivered today, I've watched the bav auto video more times than I can count, and my notes are ready to go.

I was looking through the maintenance today though, and noticed the whole system (sans the new dipstick guide tube) was replaced ~35 to 40k miles ago. Is it possible it's failed this soon, or am I wasting my time going through this exercise again?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast