Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Trunk open warning light On dash stays on

Okay. My wife is on her way to Tennessee in the ZhP and she is reporting that the trunk open warning light on the dashboard is staying on
    the trunk is actually closed and she can open and close the trunk with the key manually or with the button on the key.
    any idea what Can cause this?

Is the warning light on the dashboard going to stay on, even after the car is locked? Will it drain the battery somehow? Any advice would be much appreciated
    thanks!!!
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Check the wire loom where the trunk hinges to the car. Many have found that somehow the wires in there got cracked/sheared/cut. Might want to read this thread. The sensor is built into the latch mechanism, but is ~100 bucks: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...62#post6215662; specifically, post #5

That light most certainly will not stay on once the car is turned off. That check only happens when the key has been turned to position 2 and when the car is running.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

UPDATE:
    wifey reports that the dash light went off after going over a small to medium bump near Asheville .... :P

I am thinking it's the actuator...rather than wiring. 2 Reasons for this:
    1. now I seem to DISTANTLY recall that one day, while sitting at a red light, I heard some repeated clicking from the back, faint, as if from outside, and remember thinking "wtf - sounds like someone is locking and unlocking the trunk"...it stopped after a few clicks...and never repeated.
    2. Lately when I unlock the trunk with inside button or the button on the key, i hear TWO clicks rather than ONE click which is normal...

what do you think?
    But then again, if it's the actuator, how could the 'bump' cure it for the moment? or for that matter, if it was the wiring, a damaged wire...is it even possible - perhaps the bump momentarily pushed the frayed/broken wire back together just enough to make the contact?

In any case I hope to look at the wire loom...it seems a bit involved

Thanks for all replies.
    Last edited by Washburn; 12-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    UPDATE:
    wifey reports that the dash light went off after going over a small to medium bump near Asheville ...but now there is a clunk from front left front end. :P
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

LOL - I might show her that, Dane - she'll have a good laugh (or a big eye roll)

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    LOL - I might show her that, Dane - she'll have a good laugh (or a big eye roll)
    Standing by for eye roll hair flip action. I'm used to it.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

close the trunk harder next time
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

The trunk was closed, and LOCKED (with the key) when the light on dash was on. (would not open when pulled on it)
    Had nothing to do with the trunk being closed.
    Either the wiring loom going south, or actuator. Both these (from what I read) can cause the light to come on, even when trunk is well and fully closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast