Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

When Do YOU Replace Your Battery?

In my previous E46, I only replaced the OEM battery (with a 49DL) after it wouldn't start two times in a row. I called AAA the first time since I wasn't sure what the problem was and it was after they tested it that I found out that the charge was low.

Now, even though it is getting cold, I have problems starting the ZHP up after long periods of inactivity. I learned that the OEM battery's color indicator isn't reliable (the last one was green even though it was basically dead). So far, it's always started up after the second try though but it seems a good time to replace (with another 49DL, good CCA)

What do you use to determine when it's time to change your battery?

I'm a preemptive changer.

New battery every four years.

I'd rather never have to worry about getting stranded or dealing with the goofy low voltage gremlins our cars have.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I'm a preemptive changer.

New battery every four years.

I'd rather never have to worry about getting stranded or dealing with the goofy low voltage gremlins our cars have.
    This.

I only replaced mine after not understanding why my car refused to get Shark Injected. Otherwise, everything worked perfectly. Changed it out anyway just to be sure and lo and behold, it sharked. It's never worth arriving to a car with a dead battery.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

And it's only a hunabux or so.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I kept my factory battery for 8 yrs almost. It was cranking slow, and only when I replaced it recently did I realize how much I needed a new one. made a huge difference in starting - it's so fast it's like it hardly cranks now - instant starting.
    From now on I will replace it every 5 yrs just for peace of mind and not risk alternator, etc.
    $118 bucks at Walmart: and more CCA than the OEM
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...923#post226923
    Last edited by Washburn; 12-30-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I will replace mine, whenever I want to.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

That's the odd thing when I had my E46, it had a 6 year old OEM battery and it never skipped a beat in the 4 years I had the car. Accessory on etc no issue. I had read that pepboys sells the identical bosh OEM battery minus the BMW logo for half the price.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

A lot of good answers in here. Hard data shows typical failure occurs around 5-7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    A lot of good answers in here. Hard data shows typical failure occurs around 5-7 years.
    And sometimes that failure isn't even failure, just "symptoms". These batteries last quite a while!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

When I start experiencing difficulty starting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    In the market for an E90 M3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast