Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

How do you know if sport/stiff shocks are dead?

When do yo know... they probably are worn on my e30, I think. This would pertain to any vehicle with sport shocks and struts with sprort lowering springs im thinking, not really a specific bmw question so any previous experience with anything similar would be great.

Other than driveability... I would say if you pull them and manually test bound/rebound that would be informative. Additionally, if you saw evidence of fluid leakage, that would indicate need for replacement.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

What would the drivability issues be? I do have a issue with that.

nike001 Guest
    It'll be really bouncy and wavy. It's usually really easy to tell.

Go out to the car and push down over each wheel. If it bounces and seems easy to get the shocks to compress.. they're bad. I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say if you're questioning them then it's time to replace them

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    It'll be really bouncy and wavy. It's usually really easy to tell.

Go out to the car and push down over each wheel. If it bounces and seems easy to get the shocks to compress.. they're bad. I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say if you're questioning them then it's time to replace them
    They feel uneven. Because of the stiffness of the springs and shocks it is hard to make much rebound but also note there was zero bounce whatsoever when new. Also, I am thinking the same as you are, if I have to question it then they probably are gone but its hard to tell with this setup.