Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hmmm.....I've wondered if the Shark would eliminate the dead spot at 4000, the one that requires BMW to ship your DME to Jersey for the fix. I didn't really notice it on mine when I got it but do feel it SOMETIMES lately. Living so far from a dealer makes it tough for me to do the factory fix.

If, like you guys are saying, it fixes that dead spot I just might have to get one.

The AA software would be nice too, may even be better than the Shark but again your sending your DME off to be programmed and it costs $200 more.

Thanks.....Barry

I've had my vehicle Powerchipped by a well known tuner in California. He has now started his own company called OEtuning.com which they just tuned a 330i recently...check it out on their blog within the site. I haven't spoke to him for over a year so I guess knowledge and wisdom has been gained since my last tune with him. The main thing I got out of my ECU upgrade was:

1. Increased throttle response
    2. Marginally smoother VANOS transition,
    3. Adjust timing to optimize for 94 octane
    4. More air to fuel mixture (increased torque & better fuel consumption)
    5. Increased throttle body opening to maximum (Deeper sound on throttle - I recall him saying OEM opens to 80%)

He did not increase redline as he feels 200RPM is nothing unless I was in track conditions. Example, dragging a quarter mile if I had to change gears just before crossing and raising the redline would mean I could pass the finish within that raised redline zone, it would help in times. As well as in a corner I may have to upshift just before a corner where with a raised redline I could stay in gear and have maximum power coming out of the turn instead of the lowest power of the next gear.

His price is just under $450 but the ZHP ECU must be taken out physically to modify instead of programming through the ECU port compared to a 330 without ZHP package. This was my ECU after it was taken out, taken apart, and docked with his custom made stand where you can see the pins contacting the appropriate place of the ZHP ECU circuit board:
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

With those benefits I would consider shipping him mine. Maybe he could become our chip/tuning sponsor?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I'll contact him and see what he can do. My good friends here locally are dealers of the product. If everyone lived in Vancouver I could get a group buy rate...LOL. But it's hard to do all this stuff long distance. He will tune according to the mods you have on your car so every tune is special to your car. But programming isn't as easy as Shark or Spintbooster. It's really nice if he is acutally there with your car on the Dyno. I watched him graph out and adjust timing to my whole rev range on his computer while comparing it to the dyno chart as my car sat patiently on the dyno....it was really awesome!

I think that most products are good given user/customer feedback. Shark has had great success and has gained a respectful reputation to the market. Whatever price point you upgrade your car's programming at will hopefully get what you pay for. Sprint booster is the cheapest as it connects to your throttle and increases voltage to boost the throttle response. Shark is a bit more expensive which does even more stuff to tune the car. Then OEtuning which is even more will provide even custom updates with options. It's all in how much do you want to pay and what YOU as a driver want out of it.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

I would think this is the way to go if you can live without your ECU for the time being. Excellent info... glad to know this exists.
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

I see shark in the VERY NEAR future.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Hmmm.....I've wondered if the Shark would eliminate the dead spot at 4000, the one that requires BMW to ship your DME to Jersey for the fix. I didn't really notice it on mine when I got it but do feel it SOMETIMES lately. Living so far from a dealer makes it tough for me to do the factory fix.
    Ya know, right after installing it, I felt as though the dead spot was gone. Now, I don't notice, probably because I've gotten used to there being some power there when there wasn't before.
    I'll test it out tomorrow and will let you know for sure.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Ya know, right after installing it, I felt as though the dead spot was gone. Now, I don't notice, probably because I've gotten used to there being some power there when there wasn't before.
    I'll test it out tomorrow and will let you know for sure.

Sounds good. Thanks BP!

Barry,
    I have confirmed that the dead spot that was painfully obvious before the flashing... is gone.
    Shark fixes that issue, or at least it did in my car.

Keep in mind I haven't done VANOS seals yet. They are most likely factory original.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    If anyone needs installation instructions, I will post them up. Until then, this should do.
    I think I'm going to chip my car when you're here in two weeks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast