Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2567 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 15672067246725172557256525662567256825692577 ... LastLast
Results 25,661 to 25,670 of 26150
    New VDO fuel pump in. 20 mins, a leatherman, 10mm socket, and adjustable wrench. Wooohoo!!

Sent from my LG Wing and a prayer using Tapatalk

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

The side moldings (mouldings?) on my Imola Red 330Ci '05 ZHP had peeling clearcoat. Since BMW doesn't sell these parts painted anymore I was going to be way over $1,000 buying new parts and painting or sanding and painting in Socal - at least that was the case everywhere I tried to get an estimate.

Because the purpose of these things is to prevent door dings really I decided to try a wrap on them. The closest color I have found (so far) was 3M 2080/1080 "Gloss Red Metallic". It's a -slight- shade off from the original worn 2005 paint (imagine any paint might be to a degree as well) and has a bit more of a metallic sheen to it than Imola red does. But for this application, I'm pretty happy with the result and curious to see how it holds up.

This was the exact stuff I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 ... Application was to sand and smooth out the old rails, clean with rubbing alcohol peel and stick and heat gun. Total cost $18.99 for 6 rails.

Thought I'd post in case anyone else had any interest in giving this a try. It's not -perfect- but am pretty sure it's a better result than I'd have gotten painting myself.

Name:  Image-20220407-094231.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  1.41 MB
    Name:  image_1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  749.2 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  830.0 KB
    '05 ZHP Coupe 6MT | Imola Red w/ Natural Brown
    M3 Mirrors | BMW Performance Airbox & Strut Brace | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Weathertech Mats | Homelink Transmitter | OEM First Aid Box | Dynavin N7 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    The side moldings (mouldings?) on my Imola Red 330Ci '05 ZHP had peeling clearcoat. Since BMW doesn't sell these parts painted anymore I was going to be way over $1,000 buying new parts and painting or sanding and painting in Socal - at least that was the case everywhere I tried to get an estimate.

Because the purpose of these things is to prevent door dings really I decided to try a wrap on them. The closest color I have found (so far) was 3M 2080/1080 "Gloss Red Metallic". It's a -slight- shade off from the original worn 2005 paint (imagine any paint might be to a degree as well) and has a bit more of a metallic sheen to it than Imola red does. But for this application, I'm pretty happy with the result and curious to see how it holds up.

This was the exact stuff I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 ... Application was to sand and smooth out the old rails, clean with rubbing alcohol peel and stick and heat gun. Total cost $18.99 for 6 rails.

Thought I'd post in case anyone else had any interest in giving this a try. It's not -perfect- but am pretty sure it's a better result than I'd have gotten painting myself.

Name:  Image-20220407-094231.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  1.41 MB
    Name:  image_1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  749.2 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  830.0 KB
    That's a good idea. And nice work!!

I've got some 3M Silver wrap that I plan to use on my CF hood and trunk later this year. It's a close enough match that you can't really tell unless you're staring at it.

Plan to repaint them eventually but for now, I just want the CF protected.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

[ATTACH]39012[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH]39010[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH]39011[/ATTACH
    Nice job. But there is no way that shit costs $1000 just to get repainted. No way, I would have been able to afford having it repainted like twice + 1 more cause had to move to M3 side moldings.

edit:
    got a quote from my bodyshop and he said it would be $300 to repaint. That's how much I figured it would be. Is that 1k for new parts + paint?
    Last edited by sillieidiot; 04-21-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Haven't posted any actual things I've done for my ZHP lately, so here I go.

I replaced the alternator while on vacation after it decided to go out on me.
    I bought new wheels and tires, pics coming very soon. They look sooooooo good. Went for 18x9 square on Ps4s. This is my first Michelin summer tire and wow, I don't know how I'd ever go back. I now have a TPMS light and some idiot replaced the center switch for some buttons for the heated seats but no TPMS button .
    M240i seats are in but I can't move them, lol. I need to find a home for my arduino.
    Installed adjustable front control arm bushings. Super geeky.
    Grabbed an LF20 pump from the yard, looks brand new. I now have two, in case one fails. My car originally came with one, but we swapped the steering system with the one from my old car in the pursuit of saving time
    Huge thanks to Will for coming in clutch and lending me some tools. I replaced my RTAB's with Turner's Monoball RTAB's.

Between the adjustable FCAB's, the monorail RTAB's and the 255 PS4S...the car has seriously transformed. It handles phenomenally. It tends to very gently oversteer at the limit, but that's how I prefer my cars to feel. It's not like a full on slide, but the entire car as a whole just slides, like the front and rear give up equally. It's very natural for me to correct that. Photo shoot soon! I'm trying to get into my flickr to update the signature. My last 01 330Ci never even made it to my sig!

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    Haven't posted any actual things I've done for my ZHP lately, so here I go.

I replaced the alternator while on vacation after it decided to go out on me.
    I bought new wheels and tires, pics coming very soon. They look sooooooo good. Went for 18x9 square on Ps4s. This is my first Michelin summer tire and wow, I don't know how I'd ever go back. I now have a TPMS light and some idiot replaced the center switch for some buttons for the heated seats but no TPMS button .
    M240i seats are in but I can't move them, lol. I need to find a home for my arduino.
    Installed adjustable front control arm bushings. Super geeky.
    Grabbed an LF20 pump from the yard, looks brand new. I now have two, in case one fails. My car originally came with one, but we swapped the steering system with the one from my old car in the pursuit of saving time
    Huge thanks to Will for coming in clutch and lending me some tools. I replaced my RTAB's with Turner's Monoball RTAB's.

Between the adjustable FCAB's, the monorail RTAB's and the 255 PS4S...the car has seriously transformed. It handles phenomenally. It tends to very gently oversteer at the limit, but that's how I prefer my cars to feel. It's not like a full on slide, but the entire car as a whole just slides, like the front and rear give up equally. It's very natural for me to correct that. Photo shoot soon! I'm trying to get into my flickr to update the signature. My last 01 330Ci never even made it to my sig!
    nice work. I need to put in my rtabs too. been sitting in a box for like 3 years lol

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Nice job. But there is no way that shit costs $1000 just to get repainted. No way, I would have been able to afford having it repainted like twice + 1 more cause had to move to M3 side moldings.

edit:
    got a quote from my bodyshop and he said it would be $300 to repaint. That's how much I figured it would be. Is that 1k for new parts + paint?
    I think SoCal (San Diego) is just a total ripoff. But the old ones were blistered pretty bad so would have either had to sand them and paint or buy new parts and paint. Both prices were similar. If I could have found a shop to do all 6 for $300 I would have! I went to two places in person and was frustrated so did a Yelp message thing where you get lots of quotes at once and sent pictures and didn't get a single quote from about 10 shops that was less than $1,000. If someone has a specific recommendation in this region I'm all about it though! Hell I'd have driven to LA if I could have gotten a reasonable quote.
    '05 ZHP Coupe 6MT | Imola Red w/ Natural Brown
    M3 Mirrors | BMW Performance Airbox & Strut Brace | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Weathertech Mats | Homelink Transmitter | OEM First Aid Box | Dynavin N7 Pro

I think SoCal (San Diego) is just a total ripoff. But the old ones were blistered pretty bad so would have either had to sand them and paint or buy new parts and paint. Both prices were similar. If I could have found a shop to do all 6 for $300 I would have! I went to two places in person and was frustrated so did a Yelp message thing where you get lots of quotes at once and sent pictures and didn't get a single quote from about 10 shops that was less than $1,000. If someone has a specific recommendation in this region I'm all about it though! Hell I'd have driven to LA if I could have gotten a reasonable quote.
    Well, my shop is in HB lol

If you ever wanna check it out:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/a1-auto-bod...-one+auto+body

His shop phone though, so a lot of times he doesn't pick up. But he will call you right back. That's like his way of screening calls I guess. I don't even bother with calling, I just go in person lol

Yesterday I detailed the exterior - today I pulled all 4 wheels and cleaned the wheel wells

Just finished. I spent all yesterday trying to solve why my hood slowly unhinged over time. I replaced the hood side and body side of the right hinge.

Today I changed the tie rods, the steering rack and converted back to LF20.

Back when we swapped subframes from my last car, it made sense to swap it with the pump and rack which was a purple tag and LF30. So I converted back to LF20 and yellow tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2567 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 15672067246725172557256525662567256825692577 ... LastLast