Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2485 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 1485198523852435247524832484248524862487249525352585 ... LastLast
Results 24,841 to 24,850 of 26150
    Well it's May, so I was quite happy to take my car out from winter storage (albeit a month late). Do my usual routine of oil change on the spot before the first startup.

I pull the drain plug off and see some aluminium chips come with it. Go to put it back in and... fuuuuuuuuuuk the pan is stripped .

When I first got the car the threads were a bit suspect since the plug would thread in but not by hand, you had to use a ratchet. I guess it was only a matter of time. There's no way I'm dropping the pan again so I'm going on a hunt in the morning for either a longer bolt (to engage the deeper threads within the pan) or an oversized drain plug.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Well it's May, so I was quite happy to take my car out from winter storage (albeit a month late). Do my usual routine of oil change on the spot before the first startup.

I pull the drain plug off and see some aluminium chips come with it. Go to put it back in and... fuuuuuuuuuuk the pan is stripped .

When I first got the car the threads were a bit suspect since the plug would thread in but not by hand, you had to use a ratchet. I guess it was only a matter of time. There's no way I'm dropping the pan again so I'm going on a hunt in the morning for either a longer bolt (to engage the deeper threads within the pan) or an oversized drain plug.

Sounds like it's totaled, time for a S54 swap.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Oh man that's nightmare situation right there. I'll hold my siphon pump a little tighter tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Sounds like it's totaled, time for a S54 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Oh man that's nightmare situation right there. I'll hold my siphon pump a little tighter tonight.
    Yeah there's no way I'm dropping the pan again, unless it's to install a baffle or a GSR oil pump. The plan is to just seal the plug and use an extractor from now on

Yeah there's no way I'm dropping the pan again, unless it's to install a baffle or a GSR oil pump. The plan is to just seal the plug and use an extractor from now on
    Sorry to hear that happen to you…. Seems getting an extractor is starting to sound better already!

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Sorry to hear that happen to you…. Seems getting an extractor is starting to sound better already!

Success! Read online that the pan threads are longer than the OE drain plug (16 mm long) so this morning I went out and got a 30 mm long bolt. Since the deeper threads are still good it torqued up just fine.

I ain't touching that thing again even though it's probably okay. In no rush and will buy an extractor before my next oil change. Makes sense on our cars too since with that everything is done topside

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Success! Read online that the pan threads are longer than the OE drain plug (16 mm long) so this morning I went out and got a 30 mm long bolt. Since the deeper threads are still good it torqued up just fine.
    Well done, glad to hear you are back into business.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Well done, glad to hear you are back into business.
    Thanks Fredo!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    lol honestly... I was super, super relieved when that longer bolt torqued up.

After lunch I worked on installing my new seat. It really changes how the car feels - you can feel so much more of what the car does (and also more bumps/potholes). I set the seat a decent bit lower than the stock seat, and now I wish the steering wheel went lower to match haha. Only drove for a half-hour so I can't comment on comfort but it was fine for that little drive. And of course, took a 270 deg highway on-ramp at speed and I was fully constrained.

Ontario lockdown + busy with school = likely no track this month, but I can't wait to use it next month!

What did you do for your ZHP/ BMW / MINI today? #2

After installing my battery I started my M3 for the first time since February. It’s been awhile since I have heard the music of my S54. What an amazing sound and car

Mileage is at 182,016 and my S54 still pulls as hard as a freight train.

Last edited by cakM3; 05-01-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Page 2485 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 1485198523852435247524832484248524862487249525352585 ... LastLast