Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2521 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 152120212421247125112519252025212522252325312571 ... LastLast
Results 25,201 to 25,210 of 26150
    ^ That's a creative solution.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    ^ That's a creative solution.
    Loooool I had to do some major MacGyvering to get this to work.

My god this ball joint tool is a POS. It isn't even straight and I spend too much time wondering why the bearing kept going in crooked.

Unfortunately I slightly pinched a small part of the boot so I'll just throw some seam sealer over that. Hopefully it holds up.

Also, grrrrrrrrrr I might need a new brake line, it rubbed on the upper CA - has anyone had this problem doing RTABs before? I wonder if the stoptech lines are a bit shorter than OEM?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by t.er; 08-09-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

The UUC lines I installed on the zhp seemed a tad short, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The UUC lines I installed on the zhp seemed a tad short, too.
    Welp... I think it's fine for now since it's just the outer rubber liner, as long as the steel braids aren't severed. After I'm done with the RTABs I'll have to see if a vendor sells just the 1 line lol

I wish I had the tools and patience to do the RTABs myself but I don't so I end up taking my car to the indy shop to have them change out my RTABs instead...

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    IF IT LOOKS STUPID BUT IT WORKS IT AIN'T STUPID

I used a similar tool from harbor freight to replace rtabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I wish I had the tools and patience to do the RTABs myself but I don't so I end up taking my car to the indy shop to have them change out my RTABs instead...
    Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I used a similar tool from harbor freight to replace rtabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only using this ball joint press because it's a free rental from Crappy Tire (and Autozone for folks down south). You kinda need 4 hands to hold all the attachment pieces and it was definitely frustrating. It's even worse with the spherical bearing since it's a hard metal-metal press fit, whereas OE RTABs have thin metal shell that I'd imagine can flex into the rubber. Poly is easiest, just goes in with a mallet lol.

1 down and 1 more to go tomorrow. I have a bit of rust in the RTAB pockets and it irks me to say this but I don't think I'll fix it. It'd be very tough to get my dremel into the RTAB pocket with the arm in the way, and it's just a shitty job to do that I really would not look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    I'm only using this ball joint press because it's a free rental from Crappy Tire (and Autozone for folks down south). You kinda need 4 hands to hold all the attachment pieces and it was definitely frustrating. It's even worse with the spherical bearing since it's a hard metal-metal press fit, whereas OE RTABs have thin metal shell that I'd imagine can flex into the rubber. Poly is easiest, just goes in with a mallet lol.

1 down and 1 more to go tomorrow. I have a bit of rust in the RTAB pockets and it irks me to say this but I don't think I'll fix it. It'd be very tough to get my dremel into the RTAB pocket with the arm in the way, and it's just a shitty job to do that I really would not look forward to
    I think I run the M3 SS lines from Stoptech. They are longer. When I bought them, they said that's all they had, didn't have non-m specific ones.

I don't remember the RTAB being hard to do tbh. Didn't do it on my car, but I did the drill out method. Where you drill a bunch of holes into the rubber and then hammer the remaining metal collar out. To put it in, I just made a press using 2 steel caps at HD.

edit:
    I think this is the DIY I followed. Originally from Bimmerforums I think.
    https://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36rtab/
    Last edited by sillieidiot; 08-10-2021 at 03:04 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    I think I run the M3 SS lines from Stoptech. They are longer. When I bought them, they said that's all they had, didn't have non-m specific ones.

I don't remember the RTAB being hard to do tbh. Didn't do it on my car, but I did the drill out method. Where you drill a bunch of holes into the rubber and then hammer the remaining metal collar out. To put it in, I just made a press using 2 steel caps at HD.

edit:
    I think this is the DIY I followed. Originally from Bimmerforums I think.
    https://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36rtab/
    In hindsight maybe I should've done that... oh well

Lol the one saving grace was that I had Powerflex RTABs put in by a shop when I had plates welded to my RACP. The poly bushings came out with a pry bar and hammer, they are still in good condition so I can probably pawn them off.

Learned my lesson for the other side:

Last night I placed an order with FCP, they sell just the 2 Stoptech rear lines for ~$56. I was planning on bleeding my brakes since the car is in the air but I'll hold off until I get the new lines in.

Also added to the order some more clips holding the ABS and brake pad wear sensor wires to the RTAB and body, because some are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    FYI I have the MIS RTAB Tool…

BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Page 2521 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 152120212421247125112519252025212522252325312571 ... LastLast