Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1481 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 4819811381143114711479148014811482148314911531158119812481 ... LastLast
Results 14,801 to 14,810 of 26150
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    That bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    can we pound it flat again? should be doable. do you have the reinforcement plates installed?

the only other option i can see is to put the strut bar on my car.

peter
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Damn, I thought mine was bad.
    Well, its only the passenger side and that too only one of the three studs that is tilted quite bad - the one which is closest to the engine. Ayan (orange260z) and I tried putting a block of wood and pounding the stud to straighten it a bit but it did not seem to budge at all. I think we would need to drop the strut assembly and then pound the sheet metal flat and then use a new strut mount.

I do not have the reinforcement plates installed - that was on my to-do list when I would do a front strut overhaul. Part of the reason why I bought the strut brace was provide some additional support in order to prevent any further mushrooming till I got around to installing the reinforcement plates.

@slater - happy to lend you the strut brace until I get around to getting this whole thing sorted out next spring.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Well, its only the passenger side and that too only one of the three studs that is tilted quite bad - the one which is closest to the engine. Ayan (orange260z) and I tried putting a block of wood and pounding the stud to straighten it a bit but it did not seem to budge at all. I think we would need to drop the strut assembly and then pound the sheet metal flat and then use a new strut mount.

I do not have the reinforcement plates installed - that was on my to-do list when I would do a front strut overhaul. Part of the reason why I bought the strut brace was provide some additional support in order to prevent any further mushrooming till I got around to installing the reinforcement plates.
    ahhh, gotcha. OK, when we do your front suspension overhaul we'll tackle that, reinforcement plates and all.

now, the stud is tilted? because the stud is part of the strut mount - so that would lead me to believe that the strut mount is damaged too. hmmm. do you have new strut mounts to put in?

@slater - happy to lend you the strut brace until I get around to getting this whole thing sorted out next spring.
    haha, that would be awesome.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

now, the stud is tilted? because the stud is part of the strut mount - so that would lead me to believe that the strut mount is damaged too. hmmm. do you have new strut mounts to put in?
    You saying this just turned on the light bulb in my head. I just replaced my front control arms and bushings, but still get a popping when applying the brake. I thought that all the suspension work should have fixed that. I just realized that the fact that my towers are mushroomed must mean my strut mounts have been affected, and when the weight shifts to the front, the mounts would have added pressure on them. That must be causing it...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

You saying this just turned on the light bulb in my head. I just replaced my front control arms and bushings, but still get a popping when applying the brake. I thought that all the suspension work should have fixed that. I just realized that the fact that my towers are mushroomed must mean my strut mounts have been affected, and when the weight shifts to the front, the mounts would have added pressure on them. That must be causing it...
    what does the popping sound like? do you get the popping sound at any other time other than braking?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

what does the popping sound like? do you get the popping sound at any other time other than braking?
    Nope. It only started around the time my suspension bits started to fall apart.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Damn, I thought mine was bad.

This morning I thought about what a couple of people have said to me when I swapped over my winter tires. They asked why I did it so soon, since it was so nice out. Well, frost covered everything this morning, and my first thought was:

Had the same thought last Spring when we got the snow in late March...

Name:  too-soon-summer-tires.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  230.4 KB

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

ahhh, gotcha. OK, when we do your front suspension overhaul we'll tackle that, reinforcement plates and all.

haha, that would be awesome.

peter
    I will get new strut mounts when we tackle suspension stuff next year. M3 strut mounts maybe if they are stronger/stiffer.

If you happen to come this way let me know - else if I am driving down the 401, I can meet up with you to loan you my ///M3 strut brace
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
    I think Stuart needs to setup a webcam so we can just watch his day-to-day BMW life. I'd tune in daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    +1. Periscope!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.
    Lol. Past couple days nothing really done. But I did drive the wagon today.
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

Quote Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
    I think Stuart needs to setup a webcam so we can just watch his day-to-day BMW life. I'd tune in daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    +1. Periscope!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.
    Lol. Past couple days nothing really done. But I did drive the wagon today.
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

I will get new strut mounts when we tackle suspension stuff next year. M3 strut mounts maybe if they are stronger/stiffer.

If you happen to come this way let me know - else if I am driving down the 401, I can meet up with you to loan you my ///M3 strut brace
    i'll email you - i am actually headed up there next week for work, just scheduled!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1481 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 4819811381143114711479148014811482148314911531158119812481 ... LastLast