Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1752 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 7521252165217021742175017511752175317541762180218522252 ... LastLast
Results 17,511 to 17,520 of 26150
    Awesome work! You have a knack for figuring this stuff out.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    So this is still a work in progress, but... I've am in the process of retrofitting "sport mode" to our cars. Unfortunately it's not exactly simple.

1) Code is present, but a couple switches are turned off. Not a big deal to fix that (especially after I was pointed to a checksum I had not yet known about).
    2) The pin is not "connected" on MS45.1 DMEs. Studied the Z4 MS45.0 DME (which has the button from the factory), and soldered the appropriate resistors and capacitors to the DME. (Changes here if curious: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=13)

That was enough to test whether or not the input and code actually works.. and it does (in the attachment, notice that "Sport-taster" is set to "JA")

So I took a quick drive with a rigged wire to trigger the button, and the throttle is actually *much* better. I was pretty surprised at how much more responsive the car felt. Not quite S54 responsiveness, but makes switching between the two cars less jarring.

Now I have to wire up an actual sport button, which I'll use the M3 switch panel for. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.
    Wiring up the switch is easy enough. On an M3, the button shorts to ground when pressed, while the MS45 DME wants to see something between 3.5 to 10k ohms instead. Easy enough to just throw in a resistor inline with the wire.

Getting the LED to light up when the switch is on is harder. The MS45 doesn't actually have an output for the LED signal. Instead, it just changes a byte on the CAN-bus. On the Z4, the electric power steering module reads that CAN byte and triggers the LED. We don't have electric power steering, so that's a no go for the E46. So what I'll have to do is use something like an arduino to read the CAN-bus, and switch the ground to the LED pin when the right byte is broadcast.

All in all I spent quite a bit less money than I would on a shark injector or sprint booster, and I learned a lot in the process. But it's a complex enough mod that it's not as DIYable for everyone else as I had hoped.

Stuff like this is one of the many reasons I wouldn't want a *new new* car...no one has had time to really delve into the intricacies and change them. Mostly because warranty, but also because they are all just THAT much more complicated.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    So this is still a work in progress, but... I've am in the process of retrofitting "sport mode" to our cars. Unfortunately it's not exactly simple.

1) Code is present, but a couple switches are turned off. Not a big deal to fix that (especially after I was pointed to a checksum I had not yet known about).
    2) The pin is not "connected" on MS45.1 DMEs. Studied the Z4 MS45.0 DME (which has the button from the factory), and soldered the appropriate resistors and capacitors to the DME. (Changes here if curious: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=13)

That was enough to test whether or not the input and code actually works.. and it does (in the attachment, notice that "Sport-taster" is set to "JA")

So I took a quick drive with a rigged wire to trigger the button, and the throttle is actually *much* better. I was pretty surprised at how much more responsive the car felt. Not quite S54 responsiveness, but makes switching between the two cars less jarring.

Now I have to wire up an actual sport button, which I'll use the M3 switch panel for. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.
    Wiring up the switch is easy enough. On an M3, the button shorts to ground when pressed, while the MS45 DME wants to see something between 3.5 to 10k ohms instead. Easy enough to just throw in a resistor inline with the wire.

Getting the LED to light up when the switch is on is harder. The MS45 doesn't actually have an output for the LED signal. Instead, it just changes a byte on the CAN-bus. On the Z4, the electric power steering module reads that CAN byte and triggers the LED. We don't have electric power steering, so that's a no go for the E46. So what I'll have to do is use something like an arduino to read the CAN-bus, and switch the ground to the LED pin when the right byte is broadcast.

All in all I spent quite a bit less money than I would on a shark injector or sprint booster, and I learned a lot in the process. But it's a complex enough mod that it's not as DIYable for everyone else as I had hoped.
    Very interesting. Great stuff. I'm constantly impressed by your DIY savviness.

Inspection II Checklist completed on the Mini.
    My Indy reported this, I already knew about it:

Both inner CV boots cracking
    Left Rear caliper mounting problem, replace on next break job
    Low pressure power steering hoses seeping
    Windshield has rock chips.
    Airbag light on >>> dealer will fix on July 11th

Nothing big. He said the car is in good shape.

Washed up the M3

Untitled by Chris, on Flickr
    -Chris

-11.5 Jerez Black M3/4/6 (ZCP, slick top, cloth, manual seats, no nav)
    -16 GT3 GT Silver
    -02 Saleen S281 Extreme #35
    -2017 F350 Platinum

Instagram: CCOHO93

Craigslist snatch!! 75% tread remaining on PSS for $310USD. 235/35 and 265/30 for my OEM 19s!
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Diving board removed, black mustache refitted, bumper delete complete.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Diving board removed, black mustache refitted, bumper delete complete.

Nice werk.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Nice werk.
    Thanks John ^-^

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Thanks John ^-^

If you want to m20 swap that, let me know as I have 2 good one spare in my yard :-p

Page 1752 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 7521252165217021742175017511752175317541762180218522252 ... LastLast