Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1920 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 9201420182018701910191819191920192119221930197020202420 ... LastLast
Results 19,191 to 19,200 of 26150
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i have a friend who had a nervous breakdown in february and is in rehab for a year. his poor wife has two young kids and a house to look after, works full time as an underpaid teacher at my kids' school, and to top it off.... has a needy a 2002 325iT steptronic. she can't afford to have stuff fixed so my wife and i decided to help her out (my wife is my brake bleeding partner ). it was overdue for an oil change and both front brake lines were cracked and rotting (i had noticed this when i replaced both front control arms, FCABs, and tie rods just before my friend was hospitalized).

i heard some clunking when i drove it back to my house and suspected that the left front strut was dead, which i confirmed when i had the wheels off. also when the wheels were off, i noticed the front pads and rotors were nearly done. great.

so i get to work - the oil pan drain bolt had almost zero resistance, and he is what i found when i removed it... well, whatever 'it' is. i'm really surprising it wasn't leaking, because this thing was barely making any kind of a seal at all. this is why you should change you own oil. i'm assuming the oil change place they brought it to before put this into the oil pan... cause it sure ain't stock:

Attachment 29716

i spent about 45 minutes looking through fastener bins trying to find something suitable that i could use for an oil pan bolt - it's an M12 x 1.5, which is not really used anywhere on the car except for wheel lug bolts. and that wouldn't work. finally i found one that was the correct thread pitch, but was a bit long - so i stacked 6 thick washers under the head, and then a fresh crush washer, and in it went. i was relieved when it was in and tightened.

the oil filter and new brakes lines went in without drama. whew.

i also found the right front corner light had a lot of condensation in it.... i had a spare so i replaced it, and when i took the old one out (TYC brand - cheap aftermarket crap), look at how much water it had taken on!

Attachment 29717

all in all, a satisfying repair. as i delivered the car back to her this morning, thinking how am i going to tell her it needs a front strut and new brakes when she has no money, i realized that hey, i'm going to have some not-yet-dead-and-not-leaking OEM sport front struts and a nearly-new set of 325i rotors and pads from my Touring in a month when i do the drivetrain/brake/suspension swap from the ZHP! a DD's need being met from my swap project - i love it. it truly is better to give than to receive.

happy tuesday motoring, everyone!
    Hate to hear about things like that happening. Good job stepping up and caring for his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hcbeck2689 View Post
    Hate to hear about things like that happening. Good job stepping up and caring for his family.
    the bible says to take care of widows and orphans... and this lady is kinda like a widow right now. people need people!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

i agree, it does... but what size tire? fortunately the coupe has a bit more room in the rear arch than the sedan/Touring do.
    255/35 will fit, albeit with a little more stretch than I'd probably prefer. I'm trusting his math in saying a 265 *might* fit. I'd love to transfer these PSS over if possible.

Ideally I'd rather have a 9-9.5" rear, but the CH (I've been told) is discontinued so options are limited. Since the PSS is non-directional I can still rotate side-to-side. And honestly every wheel I'm considering is going to be staggered anyway (gotta' get that deep concavity in the rears if I go the CSL route!)
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

the bible says to take care of widows and orphans... and this lady is kinda like a widow right now. people need people!
    You're a good guy, Peter. It's such a seldom found trait in modern times.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    You're a good guy, Peter. It's such a seldom found trait in modern times.
    sam elliot.... love that dude.

thanks spenser. here's hoping it's contagious.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

++++++1 on Peter all the way.

I love it. BMW fits into "pure religion". Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Since the PSS is non-directional I can still rotate side-to-side.
    Ooooh: I hadn't noticed that. Good news!
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

i have a friend who had a nervous breakdown in february and is in rehab for a year. his poor wife has two young kids and a house to look after, works full time as an underpaid teacher at my kids' school, and to top it off.... has a needy a 2002 325iT steptronic. she can't afford to have stuff fixed so my wife and i decided to help her out (my wife is my brake bleeding partner ). it was overdue for an oil change and both front brake lines were cracked and rotting (i had noticed this when i replaced both front control arms, FCABs, and tie rods just before my friend was hospitalized).

i heard some clunking when i drove it back to my house and suspected that the left front strut was dead, which i confirmed when i had the wheels off. also when the wheels were off, i noticed the front pads and rotors were nearly done. great.

so i get to work - the oil pan drain bolt had almost zero resistance, and he is what i found when i removed it... well, whatever 'it' is. i'm really surprising it wasn't leaking, because this thing was barely making any kind of a seal at all. this is why you should change you own oil. i'm assuming the oil change place they brought it to before put this into the oil pan... cause it sure ain't stock:

i spent about 45 minutes looking through fastener bins trying to find something suitable that i could use for an oil pan bolt - it's an M12 x 1.5, which is not really used anywhere on the car except for wheel lug bolts. and that wouldn't work. finally i found one that was the correct thread pitch, but was a bit long - so i stacked 6 thick washers under the head, and then a fresh crush washer, and in it went. i was relieved when it was in and tightened.

the oil filter and new brakes lines went in without drama. whew.

i also found the right front corner light had a lot of condensation in it.... i had a spare so i replaced it, and when i took the old one out (TYC brand - cheap aftermarket crap), look at how much water it had taken on!

all in all, a satisfying repair. as i delivered the car back to her this morning, thinking how am i going to tell her it needs a front strut and new brakes when she has no money, i realized that hey, i'm going to have some not-yet-dead-and-not-leaking OEM sport front struts and a nearly-new set of 325i rotors and pads from my Touring in a month when i do the drivetrain/brake/suspension swap from the ZHP! a DD's need being met from my swap project - i love it. it truly is better to give than to receive.

happy Tuesday motoring, everyone!

a gentlemen and a scholar. i feel like i think the same exact way. I love giving back when i can, it just feels good to give more than receive.
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Peter, you da man! We need more human beings like you on this planet.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Page 1920 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 9201420182018701910191819191920192119221930197020202420 ... LastLast