Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2453 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 1453195323532403244324512452245324542455246325032553 ... LastLast
Results 24,521 to 24,530 of 26150
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Thanks for the love y'all!

If we every make it out of Quarantine, I hope to be at the next family gathering! I miss all my ZHP friends!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Well crap, do what I did: Sportwagen and ZHP!!!

Happy to hear all is well, and I'll have to get some VW advice from you. Mine is an '18 4motion, manual, bone stock.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Well crap, do what I did: Sportwagen and ZHP!!!

Happy to hear all is well, and I'll have to get some VW advice from you. Mine is an '18 4motion, manual, bone stock.

Ohhhh, great choice! And a lovely color! My buddy Nikolas has the nicest Sportwagon, his build was featured on Vortex. Here is his thread:
    https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index...motion.372786/

If I had known there would be a LCI in 2018, I would have waited three more months to buy one! The rear end can be swapped with Golf R Variant diffuser and quad tips and that makes the biggest difference of the overall look of the car.

You can upgrade the front brakes to GTI 312mm by just changing the carrier and rotors, caliper and pads are the same. That will get rid of the intense brake bite.

And the best bang for your buck is getting a stage 1 tune. Absolutely wakes the car up and my clutch lasted nearly 40k miles before it started slipping in 5-6 and eventually 4th before I needed to upgrade. But honestly the clutch in the mk7 is garbage and everyone will tell you South Bend Clutch to fix it.

I've been thinking about flipping an e46 á la Sreten, but I need to unload the dead weight of a 944 in my garage. :/

Let's chat soon!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Excellent tutelage, thank you!

Yes, I like the look of your car, especially at the rear, much better than my FAKE exhaust tips. If it weren't for the 6 year/72k warranty they put on the 18s, I'd have bought a CPO '17. That, and they were unobtanium at the time.

Back to what I did for my ZHP today...

Today got another quote to fix my rusty rear arches/fenders. 174k miles and was always on winter duty, so it's not great. Two quotes to PROPERLY fix it at reputable shops nearby: $4500 and $4400.

Big time OUCH on a car that's probably only worth about that much, but also sentimental value of a lifetime keeper is to be considered.

Undecided on what I want to do, but I do know I'm not getting rid of this car again.

mb
    - Marc

Today got another quote to fix my rusty rear arches/fenders. 174k miles and was always on winter duty, so it's not great. Two quotes to PROPERLY fix it at reputable shops nearby: $4500 and $4400.

Big time OUCH on a car that's probably only worth about that much, but also sentimental value of a lifetime keeper is to be considered.
    I've all but given up on rust on mine after the same findings. I've got the rear arches/fenders and the little part between the trunk and the bumper that are all bubbly (and some perforation in a few parts). Really too bad that BMW fixed their rust issues only on the E90 and after.

Plan is to get a modern-ish wagon (F31 or GSW, or a V60 Polestar if the prices go down and I can find one) as a daily once my ZHP disintegrates. Probably makes the most sense given my heavy winter driving patterns (and space for only one car)
    Last edited by alexandre; 05-22-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

... yeah, and this is why I can't bring myself to winter mine after all the rust was repaired. But even sitting in the garage, things still corrode a bit. I've noticed some bolts that I've replaced start accumulating a bit of surface rust, and they were installed after I stopped wintering my car
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    ... yeah, and this is why I can't bring myself to winter mine after all the rust was repaired. But even sitting in the garage, things still corrode a bit. I've noticed some bolts that I've replaced start accumulating a bit of surface rust, and they were installed after I stopped wintering my car
    Doubt there's any solution to this other than running a dehumidifier in the garage or moving to Arizona...
    Last edited by alexandre; 12-10-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks for the perspectives, guys.

I took the car OFF of winter duty in 2018 and that's when it seems like the problem escalated quickly while sitting in a garage for those months. Like so many things in life, there was a window when I could have been more aware, more prepared, and handled it for much less $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    Plan is to get a modern-ish wagon (F31 or GSW, or a V60 Polestar if the prices go down and I can find one) as a daily once my ZHP disintegrates. Probably makes the most sense given my heavy winter driving patterns (and space for only one car)
    A vote for the GSW! I really enjoy it, and it seems like you can't go wrong with the manual 6-speed or the DSG. If you want to make it handle better, that's easily done, and the power ceiling is very high. It's got (to me) e46 proportions, sizing and feel. And, just like the ZHP, it has red tach/speedo needles! It's not without its issues; it's not built to feel like a GTI or a Golf R, but that suits me fine for a daily when the ZHP is in the garage whenever I need it.
    - Marc

Thanks for the perspectives, guys.

I took the car OFF of winter duty in 2018 and that's when it seems like the problem escalated quickly while sitting in a garage for those months. Like so many things in life, there was a window when I could have been more aware, more prepared, and handled it for much less $$$.
    I had the same issue. I drove the car in east coast winters from 2012 to 2016, no rust issues visible at all. I moved to the west coast for 3 years (no salt and barely any winter exposure in that time, and I had dry underground parking in a condo tower) and that's where it developed.

I think the oxydation happens internally and by the time you see it on the paint, it's already way too late... Sorta have to address it before you even see it.

A vote for the GSW! I really enjoy it, and it seems like you can't go wrong with the manual 6-speed or the DSG. If you want to make it handle better, that's easily done, and the power ceiling is very high. It's got (to me) e46 proportions, sizing and feel. And, just like the ZHP, it has red tach/speedo needles! It's not without its issues; it's not built to feel like a GTI or a Golf R, but that suits me fine for a daily when the ZHP is in the garage whenever I need it.
    Definitely looks like a great car. I saw a low-mileage 2015 TDI 6MT pop up locally a few weeks ago, was gone in an instant. Maybe I should've jumped on it...

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post

I think the oxydation happens internally and by the time you see it on the paint, it's already way too late... Sorta have to address it before you even see it.
    Exactly this. Once a year I get under the car and in the wheel wells and put my face right up to everything. The result was finding this:

Which turned into this showing the true affected area:

Then this after the repair with POR15 and touch-up paint. Luckily I didn't have to sand past the bend to the outside surface which would've made it look ugly:

Very subtle damage and I wouldn't have noticed had I not inspected it. Caught it just in time before it becomes not-a-DIY repair in order to make it look good
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Great catch and save.

- Marc

Page 2453 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 1453195323532403244324512452245324542455246325032553 ... LastLast