Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2508 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 1508200824082458249825062507250825092510251825582608 ... LastLast
Results 25,071 to 25,080 of 26150
    I’ve heard the voltage regulator will show signs of not being able to regulate once you hit higher RPMs where it needs to regular that fast spinning alternator. Once the RPMs decrease it can handle it. If it doesn’t do that then it’s probably the motor within the alternator that needs rebuilding or replacing.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    I’ve heard the voltage regulator will show signs of not being able to regulate once you hit higher RPMs where it needs to regular that fast spinning alternator. Once the RPMs decrease it can handle it. If it doesn’t do that then it’s probably the motor within the alternator that needs rebuilding or replacing.
    Makes sense given high RPMs on track. I also think it's the heatsoak - under hood temps on the track are sky high. I opened my hood and let the car cool down for a few hours. Started the car back up, held steady at 14V for about 20 mins. After which it intermittently swung between 12V and 14V but luckily the remaining 1 hour drive was no problem, even with that flickering

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Oh damn definitely sounds heat related. What oil/coolant temps were you seeing on the track?

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Oh damn definitely sounds heat related. What oil/coolant temps were you seeing on the track?
    Looooooool I briefly saw 142C oil, I keep the eKombi indicating oil so for coolant I don't have a number. But my gauge has the buffer set to 95-105C dead-centre and it never deviated from that.

I know, I know... 142C oil is pretty high. To be honest I think something could be up with that. Last year my oil temps were steady at ~95-105C on the street, and up to 125C on the track. This year it's 110-115C street, and track is that high number. The eKombi has a couple offsets you can set based off the car it's in (according to the seller), it's possible it somehow got swapped when I disconnected the battery for the winter.

If not, then... holy shit lol

Yeah that's pretty high but the change from last year is way more concerning. Definitely need to figure out if it's using the right scaling before you go chasing anything else.

I remember seeing that our cars send the temperature to the DME from the temp sensor on the OFH. Hopefully that's the temp coming out of the engine and heading to the sump and not the other way around!

Yeah that's pretty high but the change from last year is way more concerning. Definitely need to figure out if it's using the right scaling before you go chasing anything else.

I remember seeing that our cars send the temperature to the DME from the temp sensor on the OFH. Hopefully that's the temp coming out of the engine and heading to the sump and not the other way around!
    Actually it is hooked up to the oil level sensor:

Good point actually, I should look into this - after fixing my electrical and emissions gremlins I guess I'll drive around with INPA displaying live data!

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Actually it is hooked up to the oil level sensor:

Good point actually, I should look into this - after fixing my electrical and emissions gremlins I guess I'll drive around with INPA displaying live data!

For the S54, yes, but the non-m actually uses the sensor on the OFH. Here is the MS45 info:

For the S54, yes, but the non-m actually uses the sensor on the OFH. Here is the MS45 info:

Oh sorry, I meant to say that the eKombi takes the oil temp from the level sensor though - coolant temp, voltage, vehicle speed are from the K-Bus but the oil temp is a separate input and is pinned to the level sensor.

Which in this case I assume the eKombi reads the PWM signal from the level sensor? It'll be interesting to see how the oil temp from the eKombi compares to the reading from the OFH in INPA.

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    The eKombi takes the oil temp from the level sensor though - coolant temp, voltage, vehicle speed are from the K-Bus but the oil temp is a separate input and is pinned to the level sensor.

Which in this case I assume the eKombi reads the PWM signal from the level sensor? It'll be interesting to see how the oil temp from the eKombi compares to the reading from the OFH in INPA.

Ahh gotcha I thought it just pulled it from the DME via Canbus. Definitely interested to see how the two compare!

Today was a good day. No need to talk speed bumps but I got the M4 caliper and rotor mounted to my non-M E46 kingpin/spindle. The magic number is 8mm - that’s how much lower the caliper needs to sit. The caliper mount is 19mm and tapers to 14mm after the bolt hole. The kingpin is 16mm. I’m reading online a caliper mount should’nt be thinner than 3/8” or 9.5mm. I think the only way I can do this is by shimming 4mm off both the caliper and the kingpin. I am debating how to divide the 8mm between the two. But an exciting update nonetheless! Need to find a machine shop comfortable with the task at hand

Page 2508 of 2615 FirstFirst ... 1508200824082458249825062507250825092510251825582608 ... LastLast