Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Lotsa miles in the near future, tire/wheel question

I was hoping to get some input from you guys/gals on what would you do if you were in my shoes. In the next few months I will be driving about 70 miles round trip to and from work 3-5 days a week. As you know the style 135's are staggered and the rear are slightly wider than the fronts resulting in the front having 1 size of tires and the rear having a different size of tires. Because my continental rubber is direction I can't rotate the tires which dramatically decreased the amount of wear before replacing....which really urks me! I love the look of the style 135's and the validity that the car really is a ZHP and not just a 325 with a run-of-the-mill wheelset. With that being said I would love to keep the style 135's and be able to rotate the tires and get 60k+ miles before replacing. Should I be buying 2 individual style 135 wheels from an online vendor and then selling 2 of the fronts, or rears that don't match whatever I find? Is there anyone else that's found a good solution for wanting to get longer life out of their style 135's that can share their experience? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks for reading.
    04 Imola Red / Alcantara / 6 MT
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

I haven't experienced a problem without rotating mine. Need to check the exact milage but, with performance tires, aggressive driving and Xcross, I'm not looking at getting high milage out of these tires. The pick below is what the last set of Potenza Re11s looked like when I replaced them.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Most perf tires these days are uni directional so even going all square yiu csnt rotate unless you hv a tire shop remove the tires and switch. So you would just have front to back, which doesnt help a lot. So, rotating tires is not really a compelling reason to go square.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I use Michelin Pilot AS3 tires on my Golf MK6 TDI and I already have 40k on the tires and they still look like they are well over 70%. I commute about 114miles/day so its no slouch either.

I do have to admit I have 0 toe and square setup.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Most perf tires these days are uni directional so even going all square yiu csnt rotate unless you hv a tire shop remove the tires and switch. So you would just have front to back, which doesnt help a lot. So, rotating tires is not really a compelling reason to go square.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    On a former e46 330i I purchased Michelin Pilot Sports on a square 17x8 setup and I was able to rotate them and came with at least 60k mile warranty from Michelin. They road extremely well and I never needed more performance than they offered. I would love to do a similar tire, if not the same one, but obviously the 135-styled staggered setup can't accommodate that. I'd like to have 1 set of wheels and not have spares laying around so what have others done to keep the 135 look but going for a square setup?
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Quote Originally Posted by 330i Lover View Post
    On a former e46 330i I purchased Michelin Pilot Sports on a square 17x8 setup and I was able to rotate them and came with at least 60k mile warranty from Michelin. They road extremely well and I never needed more performance than they offered. I would love to do a similar tire, if not the same one, but obviously the 135-styled staggered setup can't accommodate that. I'd like to have 1 set of wheels and not have spares laying around so what have others done to keep the 135 look but going for a square setup?
    Michelin only offers a 30k warranty for square sets and 15k warranty for staggered ones...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Ahhh, i think I mispoke on the model of the tire, I believe it's this tire or comparable I was thinking of, keep in mind this was about 3-4 years ago so maybe it was the pilot super sport. 60k mile warranty here.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...emier-a-s.html
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Your best option if you want to keep the style 135 wheels is to find (2) 18x8.5 wheels and install them on the front. Then run a square tire-set up in either a 235 or 245 section width.

60k on a summer performance tire is pushing it though. You might need to go with an all season tire with a high treadware rating.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Your best option if you want to keep the style 135 wheels is to find (2) 18x8.5 wheels and install them on the front. Then run a square tire-set up in either a 235 or 245 section width.
    Would eBay be the best place to find these if I can't find them locally? Would there be any expected rubbing if I had 18x8.5 in the front that anyone knows of? Maybe someone's already done this?
    Nashville, TN

Nashville, TN 37221

Quote Originally Posted by 330i Lover View Post
    Ahhh, i think I mispoke on the model of the tire, I believe it's this tire or comparable I was thinking of, keep in mind this was about 3-4 years ago so maybe it was the pilot super sport. 60k mile warranty here.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...emier-a-s.html
    The Premiere A/S makes sense for a 60k warranty as it's an all-season tire.

BTW, here is a very thorough review I did of the Michelin Premiere A/S when I got to test them:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...in-Premier-A-S
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast