Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

ZHP Mafia Team Talent

I know that most of us know a little bit about each other.....but I thought it would be good to start a thread.....that we can build on to explain where the talents are that each member holds. It only needs to be something that you are comfortable doing in or around a ZHP. This can be driving knowledge, Computer and electronics, lighting suspension, brakes, interior repair, detailing, etc.

This thread is to identify, where each members talents lie, regarding the ZHP.

I would like this to be a One entry per member thread....and you can edit your entry, as you be more confident in a particular area.

Thanks for the support.

With that...I will go first.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Items I feel somewhat experienced, and would be comfortable working on someone else car, include:

1. VANOS repairs
    2. Preventative maintenance...to include wipers, oil/filters, tranny/diff fluids, etc.
    3. Belt and pulley maintenance.
    4. ALL Suspension other than RTAB's as I have never had to do this.
    5. Front wheel bearing replacement.
    6. detailing....though only at a novice level.
    7. Some amount of troubleshooting experience.
    8. Exterior/interior modification, with the exception of the electronic stuff.
    9. I can probably offer a bit of advice on anything, or at least tell you where to find it.
    10. Part research, where to get parts, how the parts have worked for me...etc.

I will build on this as I think of items.

If you take your car to the shop for all maintenance...and have no experience....then don't post in this thread.....just know that these resources are here, for you.....so just shoot us a PM, and get your questions answered.

DW77
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

1. Glass installation/removal to include windshield/side windows/back window.
    2. Electronics Troubleshooting
    3. I have worked on several drivetrains, but to be honest I've never touched a BMW drivetrain. Cant imagine it can be that much more difficult.

Things I've done/am comfortable doing:

1. VANOS repairs
    2. Control Arm replacement/CABs
    3. Oil filter housing gasket
    4. Preventative- diff fluid, manual trans fluid, plugs, wipers, air/cabin filters
    5. Basic interior stuff-- trim, shift knob, OEM aux input, alum pedals.

Also a driving instructor for work-- car control, vehicle dynamics, etc.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Average level automotive repairs
    * Fluids
    * Brakes
    * Steering racks
    * Suspension bits and pieces

Inspections for sale
    * Have the paint thickness measuring device, can help fellow members evaluate a car for sale. Especially if it's an E30 M3.

Driving
    * Just under 10 years of auto-x experience
    * Skip Barber racing school alumni (Lime Rock Park)

Computers
    * Software engineer by profession.
    Last edited by nk_zhp; 01-25-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    Driving
    * Just under 10 years for auto-x experience
    * Skip Barber racing school alumni (Lime Rock Park)
    Baller.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    * Have the paint thickness measuring device, can help fellow members evaluate a car for sale. Especially if it's an E30 M3.
    How much did you pay for this?

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    How much did you pay for this?
    ~300. Best investment ever. My favorite part about this tool is that when you go to look at a car, the salesman sees you pulling that out of your pocket, he/she immediately drops the "car sales talk". Turns out that vast majority of cars have had some body work done. You just have to learn to not let really minor body work get in the way of picking a really nice car.
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

1. Preventative maintenance - includes wipers, oil/filters, air/cabin filters.
    2. Brakes - Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Lines, Flush/Bleeds (Motive Power Bleeder)
    3. Transmission - Slave cylinder, Lines
    4. Detailing - Basic level
    5. Minimal troubleshooting - research with Bentley manual
    6. Parts - research and where to buy

I've done considerably more maintenance on my e30 and haven't delved into much with the e46 since the baby arrived. I assume much of the maintenance is similar/carries over (like MT/diff fluids).
    I've also done a number of stereo installs on other cars I've owned to include component upgrades, amplifier installs, wiring, etc. I haven't done anything with the BMW yet, but will most likely do the BSW upgrades.
    Last edited by billschusteriv; 01-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Lighting (I've fully removed both front headlights and replaced parts plus worked on other exterior and interior lighting)
    iPod integration (I've installed my own and researched most of the other available products out there)
    Suspension (Coilovers, bushings, etc.)
    Wheels (offsets, tire sizes, etc.)
    Basic DIY maintenance
    Key programming options (while I can't actually program, I know most of the options off the top of my head)
    If I don't know the topic, I probably know where to find the answer through previous reading & research. Just ask.

I can run factory diagnostics with INPA, read codes, clear service indicators & program a few options in NCS Expert. Expanding daily on programming capability. I can read codes and whatnot personally for anyone who's close by (or during a meet) & I can help to get these tools working for anyone interested in doing this themselves for cheap (cost me $22 for cable, $10 for soldering iron and solder).
    Tested & working code changes:
    -selective locking on/off
    -autolock after x mph on/off
    -visually confirm lock/unlock w/o alarm (even lights up the clown nose when locked) on/off
    -fog lights stay on w/highbeams on/off
    -highbeams are bixenon & halogen on/off
    -bixenon lowbeam stays on w/flash to pass halogen

I have weak mechanic skills, but experience with my own installs: changing all 7 roundels, swapping tail lights, front corners/sides, oem performance intake, oem aux input, removal/painting/install of mtech grid, oem license plate frame & blackout grille.
    Last edited by Tampa330i; 01-26-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast