Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lazy Sunday - BMW Performance intake, grill repaint, Aquapel windows & rock chip touch up...

Had a few projects I needed to get done this weekend, figured I'd post em up. I don't have any detailed DIY pics or write-ups but here's a quick breakdown of my Sunday afternoon...

First off is the BMW Performance intake install. Super easy as you all know, plug and play. Only slightly difficult part was sliding the thin front tube into it's "slot" (hmm this sounds dirty...) ajacent to the headlight. This air intake opening extends over the core support so it's a little akward fitting the lower tube in there if you have the intake snapped together as one whole unit. The top/front air intake opening hits the support so you can't quite get the angle you need. I got it in there though, showed it who's boss. I kinda have to close the hood with a bit more force now, seems like it might be pinching the front opening between the support and hood. Still closes fine, but if not closed with authority the hood latch lever will stick out a little. Bottom line, looks awesome and I can definitely tell an audible increase above 3500. I think it sounds great, probably not noticeable to someone who doesn't drive it every day though, and that's fine by me. Good mod.

Next up was repainting the mesh grill (and fog light housings). I don't have a great before pic but the grill almost looked like someone tried to paint it body color, but perhaps it was just a dusty grey color from road wear and tear. This was pretty simple as well, just mask off said area, cover the engine/fenders with an old sheet, rock no roll. I used Plasti-cote satin black, available anywhere, 3 coats from many angles. Looks awesome. I hit the fog light covers as well. Excellent cheap fix.

Before

During/After

Next up was applying Aquapel to the windows...ALL of them. I read a thread someone posted on here so decided I should try it. Plus it's made by PPG and they know a thing or two about windows. I ordered 4 of them off eBay for $19 shipped. The directions on the product are misleading however, so I went rogue and did it how I wanted to, or more like how it made sense to do. I only used two applicator total, I did one whole side and a front/rear window with each applicator, worked just fine. Oh I did the moon roof too. They say to use one per window, this is not necessary, just do the front/rear windshields first and move to the sides. It also says to apply then IMMEDIATELY wipe dry with a paper towel before it dries to a haze...which seemed odd to me. A) you cannot wipe it dry with a paper towel if you tried, B) when you do hit it with the paper towel it becomes a haze. So I hit them with a paper towel then buffed it off with a regular towel, worked just fine. Luckily I live in OR so I was able to test it out immediately, the stuff works awesome. I'm interested to see if it really stays on for 6 months, but who really cares. My main goal was to get the rear window real good, before it was really bad in the rain, very hard to see out of, no beading. Now it's great, water beads and sheds great. Good mod.

Lastly was rock chip touch up. I'm pretty OCD with my cars so it's the little things that bother me, like rock chips. I bit the bullet and spent $27 on touch up paint at my local dealership. Question...who does touch up paint work then applies a clear coat touch up to it afterwards?? I mean really, is there a point to that? No, it's ridiculous that they would even have that 2nd bottle in the kit. Aaaanyhow, as we all know the "nail polish" style applicator works great, if you're painting the entire hood, but for tiny little chips i prefer to use a very fine tipped modeling brush. So I picked up a couple of those and went to work, I had to be careful though cause I could still be there hitting every little chip...it's like crack! You can ALWAYS find new little chips, so I had to make myself stop. And my car was actually in really good shape to begin with!

Guess that's about it for now...
    Last edited by Cadeez; 03-21-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Nice writeup!!
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Excellent write up, Jeff.

Thanks guys! I almost forgot the best mod...

This was a pretty tough install, but the horsepower gains are unbelieveable! Haha, it's worth $15 to me, not sure why but whatev.
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Dude...that looks great...but....your upper intake boot is not installed correctly. Just don't want you popping codes brutha!

Again...well done...and thanks for the writeup.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Dude...that looks great...but....your upper intake boot is not installed correctly. Just don't want you popping codes brutha!

Again...well done...and thanks for the writeup.
    Ehh how do you mean exactly?? There's only one way it goes on... Fit the rubber tube around the "flange" from the airbox, tighten hose clamp, re-attach sensor. What am I missing? No codes yet, drives beautifully.
    Last edited by Cadeez; 03-21-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added info
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ahhh haha yes it is indeed, whew... You had me worried there for a sec, I couldn't imagine how I F'd it up but you never know. Thanks for the feedback.
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Now when you look at it......doesn't it look like that could be the boot bunched up? Lol.....I have seen weirder sheeeeeeeeet before.

No it definitely does, I see where you were going now. Beforehand I was like, is this guy high? Haha, better safe than sorry bro, good looking out.
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast