Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    Might take more than that. Here are photos I took when I had the trouble on the driver side. Only replaced the bulb housing, which is the female side of the connector.

That damage is the result of arcing caused by more current than the connector is designed for. Non OEM bulbs with a lower resistance would be the most likely cause.

At this point both sides of the connector are irreparable. Considering that and the fact that this connector isn't one that is generally disconnected and connected I wouldn't hesitate to cut the wire going to the bad pin and soldier it directly onto the trace on the housing. Problem solved, permanently.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Ah yes, I remember someone else a while back suggesting that. Now, I already have a bulb housing though for the rear on order. If I wer to buy part 15 mentioned earlier, with the new housing, and ensuring OEM bulbs are in use, then that "should" solve the problem permanently also. My only question then would still be, as I asked earlier, when I remove that connector from the wires, does it permanently damage those wire ends to the point where I could not reuse them?

You'll need to replace at least the one connector, it's part # 61130006626 on RealOEM. There's also a picture of it:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/photos/61130006626.jpg

In the picture you can see the locking tab on the bottom side of the connector. If you look at the plug on your car, you'll see the row of locking tabs on the bottom side, just press them in with a small screwdriver and pull back on the wire to remove it.

Cutting the old connector off the wire is tempting but make sure the wire will still be long enough before going that route. If not you can bend the tabs up with the tip of a knife and get the wire out.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Well, yesterday I got the rear bulb housing in. So I replaced it as that was certainly needed, due to the burnt connector on the housing side. Then, I took one of the OEM bulbs out of the old housing and stuck that bulb into the front blinker assembly for now, that way I have all OEM bulbs all the way around now. So far, so good. I should be getting the OEM blinker housing today, which is also needed since the locking tab broke that you're suppose to be able to push down to remove the blinker. Right now, that blinker is held in by friction only. I have noticed though that the entire rear passenger tail light assembly is all around brighter with the new bulb housing, and I assume it is simply because that part of the connector is fresh. I may still go ahead and replace the plug as well back there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12