Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attempting to repair my phantom "blinker out" signal, question...

OK, so us pre-facelift owners are not covered under the recall for the bad grounding on the tail lights. This causes the front indicators to go in and out. Sometimes, I'll start my car and get the indicator on the dash that my front blinker is out. Sometimes, I can simply turn on my parking lights, the indicator goes out, and the blinker works fine. Other times, turning on the parking lights does nothing, and the blinker will truly be out. I can usually go out and whack the blinker a couple of times and it comes back on.

NOW, all that said, my local dealership said that can actually sometimes be caused by using shady non-OEM bulbs. I was told this when my driver side first started doing this. So at that time, I replaced the driver-blinker bulb with an OEM one. However, my rear bulb house had the scorched post and scorched plug. So I went to a scrap yard and just picked up a replacement bulb house for the back, put it on, and have not had a problem on that side since then, and just kept the scorched plug on that tail light.

OK, so for those of you still with me, I am now having the same problem on the passenger side. Driver side is still OK. I know my driver blinker housing is OEM, but the passenger is non-OEM. I am thinking of getting a whole new passenger blinker assembly, and then for now just getting the bulb housing for the rear since I see the same scorching happening. The question I have is this: IF I end up also having to replace the male plug on the rear (part 15 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=63&fg=20), will I have to replace all six of the little wires? Do they get damaged when removing them from the plug? The wires, for what I know, could be perfectly fine, I am just thinking it is the plug itself that was the problem...

Sorry for the detail, but figured it was needed. Thanks!

sounds like a bad contact between the bulb/socket/wires... try cleaning, adjusting them. I had the same issues with the E21 and eventually got it to work that way

Might take more than that. Here are photos I took when I had the trouble on the driver side. Only replaced the bulb housing, which is the female side of the connector.

my issue on the E21 was one of the wires going into the jumper (your second pic) was loose, therefore making a bad connection. I would first say you should try pushing the wires all the way in the jumper. Yours also appears to have some corrosion on one of the pins, maybe go get a can of electric contact cleaner for that.

I believe you can buy that jumper itself if you want to replace yours

I once had a problem where one of my tail light bulbs (in the trunk lid) was failing but not completely failed. It made the bulb out indicator light up and drove me nuts because I kept checking the main tail lights in the back of the trunk but not the ones in the trunk lid. Finally I found it, saw it was frosted over inside, replaced it, and bulb-out light went away. And then I got the recall repair done on the wiring.

That looks just like the taillight ground issue.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I was thinking that too Dane, but ever since doing the same thing to my driver's side, the problem has not come back... yet. So I still plan on only replacing the passenger front blinker housing and the rear passenger bulb housing, and will also check the wire connection per Hermes comments.

FWIW, just did the rear tail light ground repairs to both sides myself due to a non-functioning blinker problem (right rear blinker not working). Check light on the dash has been ok since.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

Thanks Brett, but even if mine is a ground problem, it is slightly different from the facelifted models.

Ironically, it is the same pin burning out on both sides...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast