Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Engine Hesitates

So recently I have been having issues with my 2001 325i. It only has this issue when it is cold (i.e 20's and 30's, although it did it today at 58 degrees). Once the engine warms up to normal temps, the problem goes away.

Well when driving along in 3rd gear at 25 miles an hour the car sputters and hesitates almost like its going to die. It does it in ever gear until the car is at normal temps. My check engine light is on because one of my 02 sensors is bad and needs replaced. It seems like the issue is getting worse and worse, and it's my DD.

Could it be the 02 sensors, or what else could it possibly be?
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Don't know but I thought O2 sensors where responsible for mixing only when engine was hot. Could that be DISA?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Don't know but I thought O2 sensors where responsible for mixing only when engine was hot. Could that be DISA?
    +1 on o2 sensors only after wamup period.

Do you run your gas tank until almost empty and then fill up?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    +1 on o2 sensors only after wamup period.

Do you run your gas tank until almost empty and then fill up?
    Durring the summer I tend to run it almost empty, but durring the winter i try to keep at least 1/4 tank at all times.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

1/4 tank isn't enough, IMO. That is because when it says 1/4 of a tank, it's really more like 1/8 of a tank because the gauge reads horribly wrong once it drops below an indicated 5/8 of a tank or so (note the fuel amount indicated drops significantly faster once it reaches that point). Running it empty all the time is bad for the fuel pump. It makes it work much harder and in the summer can overheat. Heat is one of the fiercest enemies for electronics.
    I'm not saying that is the cause of your issue though, just an FYI.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Truth. I don't get as many miles in that last 1/4....then I do from the rest of the tank for sure.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Other than working the pump harder, moisture can build up with the changing temps and condensation can build up inside of the tank which is ultimately water in your gas and if you do this enough the tank will get rust inside eventually. I don't think you have rust but maybe moisture, I would run some stabilizer or seafoam through the gas at your next fill up and see if that helps.

I was going to say it sounds like your fuel pump is on the way out, but it only does it when your car is cold.

Perhaps the fuel pump also needs time to warm up?

I'm willing to bet 95% on fuel pump, 5% on your battery and/or coils on their way out but not throwing codes yet