Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What shocks/struts for stock ZHP springs?

I have been researching what shocks/struts to get, but all I can find is springs/struts with new springs. I really want to keep my stock ZHP springs so that is not really an option. Can I run Bilstein Sports or Koni's? I am hoping to spend around $600 or less. This is for my daily driver that will not see much track time/auto x's except once or twice a year, but I drive 100 miles round trip so I would like something with a lifetime warrenty like Koni or Bilstein. Any help would be great thanks!

Beau

bilsteins

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

nike001 Guest
    Bilsteins or Koni's will work. Doesn't really matter.

The big noticeable things aren't due to the shocks, moreso the springs. So any difference you'll feel will be minimal. You might not even feel a difference.

Beau, I have Koni with stock ZHP springs. Although I am going to get rid of the ZHP springs, it does ride phenomenal.
    E92 335i M-Sport
    997 S

Lemme jump in with my questions, too: I know Konis & Bilsteins are considered "OEM replacements", but – aside from their price – are they significantly better than the OE sport struts/shocks? Equivalent ride, longevity, etc.? And (after looking around ECS's suspension page) when/why would one choose the Koni yellows over the oranges (assuming the desire for stock-equivalent springs)?

Also, aside from desiring a lower ride height, should a ZHP owner consider replacing OE springs with 100k+ miles on them? I assume they do wear out some, but how much? I'd assume much less so than the struts/shocks. Is there a generally agreed-upon point that you should replace the OE springs?

/suspension newb questions

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

nike001 Guest
    Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty, so there's that.

There is no really wearing out of springs. Either they're good or they're bad. No way to tell when they're on their way out either.. because they're just springs. They'll break when they want.

Koni Yellows

/thread

As stated above, Bilsteins have the lifetime warranty and are well made. I just replaced the shocks and struts on my e36 with Bilsteins. The e36 has 95,000 miles and both shocks and both struts were blown. Don't know when it happened as the car still rode nice. I think springs are good for at least 150,000 unless the rust, compress and/or brake. You can"t go wrong with Bilsteins. I think the Sports lower the car a bit though.

I think I have narrowed down to the Koni Oranges or Bilstein Sports.. I have read good reviews of the Koni Oranges but have yet to run anything on my other cars other than Koni Yellows or Bilstein Sports.. Being that this is my daily and I drive alot I am leaning towards the Koni Oranges and using the saved money to replace the CABs, tie rods etc.. I will keep this updated when I make my final decision etc..

Beau

i am thinking about going Koni FSD with OE springs when i do the suspension replacement...
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast