Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extremely fine - Micro scratching (Suggestions on fixing?)

So I am getting better at my auto detailing with different product combinations to achieve my clean (wet) look.

The problem that I have now is that under my detail led lights if i look real close I notice extremely fine, micro scratches on the paint. If I move my head back about a foot or more, I can't see them at all and they seem to disappear. The only explanation i can come up with is that my microfiber towels are doing it when I wipe down the polish or wax. I find this really hard to believe as I am using all brand new microfiber towels from Detailed Image and Chemical Guys.

I don't have a high end camera and the pics I have tried to take just show glare from the light and don't show the micro scratches at all. Sorry, but I would show you if I could. I do realize that BMW Jet Black paint is EXTREMELY soft, and I have introduced new scratches on my paint by simply putting barely ANY pressure on my towels when I dry or buff off product.

I am getting ready to do another round of polish and wax this weekend and really wanted to figure out if it is my process, pads or towels.

Equipment List:
    Step 1. Chemical Guys Paint Correction No. 2: (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Paint_Co...gap_721_16.htm) with an Orange Pad
    Step 2. Sonax Profiline Nano Polish: (http://www.detailedimage.com/Sonax-M...12/1000-ml-S1/) with an Orange Pad
    Step 3. Chemical Guys BlackLight (http://www.chemicalguys.com/BEST_WAX...gap_619_16.htm) with a Blue Pad
    Step 4. Chemical Guys Black Wax (http://www.chemicalguys.com/BLACK_CA.../wac_307_1.htm) by hand

Machine: Porter Cable 7424xp

I really have no idea what I am doing

I have the same issue. In for solution!

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

We have a few detailing threads here that cover this. Kyle in OH suggested Meguiars 105 & 205 for scratch removal. Works really well with appropriate pads for the random orbital buffer. (I would link the thread but I'm here on my phone at the moment).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

-Brettski

nike001 Guest
    I didn't know that the black paint is soft.

I'd look into Menzerna products. I've used those, as well as the M105/M205 products and the Menzera products are definitely easier to work with IMO. I got better results from them as well. I'd recommend either the IP 2000 or SI 1500

What is the best buffer to get - I know people say Porter Cable - but having talked to some pro painters - they say it is more name brand and there are better...???
    - Stuart

/_________\
    OO=[][]=OO

Quote Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
    What is the best buffer to get - I know people say Porter Cable - but having talked to some pro painters - they say it is more name brand and there are better...???
    Probably this one is best. I have PC though.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7738
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    I didn't know that the black paint is soft.

I'd look into Menzerna products. I've used those, as well as the M105/M205 products and the Menzera products are definitely easier to work with IMO. I got better results from them as well. I'd recommend either the IP 2000 or SI 1500
    Yeah it is kinda soft.

M105 and M205, and maybe even a finer polish after the m205 will produce damn good results.

M105 is a PITA to work with. Menzerna is super easy to work with.

There is better. But I like Porter Cable, in fact I have two of them (I do part time detailing). I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Only buffer I would consider over the PC is a FLEX polisher!

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Probably this one is best. I have PC though.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7738
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Eh, it has a little more power than the PC. But FLEX is better than both.

Here is a FLEX

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

It costs $350 though. And you still need to buy some polish, wax, pads, pad cleaner, and some nice towels for the cars. The $$ adds up real quick

nike001 Guest
    Pros will always say there are better buffers to get. The Porter Cable is almost always recommended because it has a clutch that prevents the spinning of the pad so you don't burn into your clear. Some of the buffers that pro detailers/painters use are just a rotary buffer. One can burn through clear in no time if they're not good enough with it. It happens mainly on rounder areas..

I have used both Meguiars (105 and 205) when I did my color correction a few months back. I then followed up with Menzerna SIP and SP. So I have actually used and still DO use those products. I just found for my polishing maintenance, I prefer the combo above.

As far as polishers go, I second a lot of comments here, the PC is the best on the market and used by probably the majority of detailers. There is another unit coming out that has my interest piqued though:
    http://esotericcarcare.com/Rupes-Pro...-polisher-15mm

Rupes Bigfoot Polisher

I am going to get some first hand experience on this in March when I go to Esoteric Auto for a 2 day detailer training. Can't wait!!! I will obviously ask about micro scratching when I am there and get a chance to talk Todd about it.

I really have no idea what I am doing

-Brettski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast