Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Annoying Battery Drain

Hey Mafia,

I've been having this annoying battery drain problem for a while now. I just got a new battery because the original one died. No worries, that's not a big deal. However, I've noticed that after a day or two of sitting, it was weak to start. Strange. Just this weekend, it sat from Thursday evening until Sunday morning, and I had to get a jump. There wasn't enough juice in the battery to turn the starter.

I don't think it's the alternator, because once running, the car doesn't stop. A bad alternator would not keep the battery charged, and eventually the car would run out of voltage and not have enough to keep running.

Based on some basic internet research, I think the culprit might be the final stage resistor. Although I haven't experienced any erratic fan speeds, it seems to be the only thing I've noticed that causes this issue.

Does anyone else have any similar issues or any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
    Pete

To help narrow it down, can you eliminate definitely some less likely causes: Your lights aren't left on, all doors and trunk are completely closed, and there's nothing left plugged in the cigarette lighter for a power source? (this would be during the "sitting" period)

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Yeah all the doors are shut, trunk is closed, and I don't have a GPS or in-car charger or anything. Sometimes, I forget I have a cig lighter. Plus, I would know if the doors/trunk weren't shut properly since the lights would stay on.

Had the same thing, it was my FSR (no erratic fan speeds either btw).
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

More like a FYI: Doesn't the car shut off all of the lights (interior and trunk's) if it's on for more than 15 mins? It's a safety feature built to avoid draining the battery. I figured this out while I was working on the door last night.
    Fuelly

Is the car "going to sleep" as it should after about a minute or two once you turn it off? Never had a problem with this myself, but it would make the case for fairly rapid battery drain if it wasn't shutting off completely.

-Brettski

Does the car have an aftermarket alarm? Sometimes those induce parasitic loss. You can check for a leak of battery power by disconnecting the positive terminal and hooking an amp meter between it and battery positive.

A faulty FSR can keep the car from going to sleep.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

^ Great to know John! I was wondering if that may be one of the causes. Thanks for the clarification.

-Brettski

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Does the car have an aftermarket alarm? Sometimes those induce parasitic loss. You can check for a leak of battery power by disconnecting the positive terminal and hooking an amp meter between it and battery positive.
    Nah no alarm on my car!

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Had the same thing, it was my FSR (no erratic fan speeds either btw).
    This is what I'm thinking. I found an FSR for like 50 bucks or so on bavauto. I'll probably order it today or tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast