Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

F10 M5 Shift Knob - Installation

Thank you to Raymond Lee for my 8 month belated birthday present.

I installed the new shift knob today with the old boot. I am not a fan of the leather boot plus it does not really go well with the rest of the alcantara set up in the car. Overall I am really satisfied with the way things turned out.

So let's begin with the write up.

The first step I tried was using a heat gun and heating up the middle ring while pushing down the leather inside out. Causing the glue to melt a little and giving me more room to work with. Then I press on the tab on the left and it release the ring from that side. The other two tabs are larger and I just ended up breaking them off. Pretty much the ring is used to keep the cloth from dropping too low from the shift knob itself. I did not reattach the ring to the knob. I will see how it works over the next week or two before I add a cable tie or something to hold it in place.

I made two snips into the leather boot to remove the wiring from the shift boot.

Followed by snipping the plastic on the right from the ash tray holder wires.

Reinstalled everything

I will have some photos once it gets dark. Along with my feeling/opinions towards this knob and lighting.
    All photos are here - http://imgur.com/a/mjGTR#0
    Last edited by Tnhl1989; 04-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Updated with more photos

Last edited by Tnhl1989; 04-26-2013 at 05:39 PM.

You sir, have made me want it bad..lol crap.

I am sorry man! Honestly I blame Charlie for making me want to do so many mods for this car. Well it was a pretty easy mod overall. Not sure what to do with the plastic ring since it kinda just sits there. Eventually I would like to have the interior tri-stitch instead.

Nice job, looks good. And, keep away from Charlie or you'd be sucked into a tornadic vortex of modding whirlwind that will never end!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

So I have driven with the knob for a few days and here is my review. The f10 m5 knob is amazing and the leather is soft. I can't really compare it to a brand new zhp knob however I would probably say it would feel similar. It feels just like the zhp knob and the lighting/color is prefect in terms of it matching the rest of the interior color. Overall I am way to happy that it was a gift for me and that all zhp should have came with this knob.

Great review. A new ZHP knob is always awesome.. Did you just tap into the little ashtray light for the power source?

Yep! I was thinking about splitting the wire so that the ash tray would continue to get the light up but I then figured when will I ever have it open and care about it being lit up or not. So I just use the wire that was there.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day doing super maintenance since I have no history of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    I am sorry man! Honestly I blame Charlie for making me want to do so many mods for this car. Well it was a pretty easy mod overall. Not sure what to do with the plastic ring since it kinda just sits there. Eventually I would like to have the interior tri-stitch instead.
    Dude, Charlie is a terrible influence. On top of that, I even regularly drive 2 hours to his house every few weekends to be negatively (financially) influenced by him!!

I'd love to check out your new shift knob in person.... hint hint.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    Tony, I'm glad that I showed you the path to enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Nice job, looks good. And, keep away from Charlie or you'd be sucked into a tornadic vortex of modding whirlwind that will never end!
    So true John but you're helping me recently with that as well...

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Dude, Charlie is a terrible influence. On top of that, I even regularly drive 2 hours to his house every few weekends to be negatively (financially) influenced by him!!

I'd love to check out your new shift knob in person.... hint hint.
    Stand by Botond.....more in store for you

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast