Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Oh, did you use the videos on YouTube? I found one and watched it, they retrofitted a ZKW lens into an AL headlight assembly. For those that already have AL's and did the swap, was it worth it? I have AL's and don't think the output is bad, but if it's a noticeable improvement I might leave it for a rainy day.
    Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, I must've missed it... Anyway, to answer your question, its not so much about the output. The output won't really change much, the big thing is the clarity of the cutoff line at the top of the light spread. Its hard to take photos and capture the cutoff, but its very noticeable when driving, and to answer your question, yes, it is much better. The AL lenses are sort of 'frosted' and that makes for much less of a cutoff. With the ZKW lens, the cutoff is literally a razor sharp line...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Dang I tried to do a retrofit before and it is pretty complicated and hard. I still don't really understand the use of the AL bowls in the ZKW lens though. I mean besides the point that the ZKW bowls get burnt does the AL bowls do the same? Or is the AL bowls a permanent fix to this problem. Eventually I will have to do the retrofit but still undecided on which route I should take. I also have a set of FX-R lens sitting around. Sorry to jack the thread.

Everything looks awesome though. I know that on e46 there is a lot of photos of cut offs but not sure if it is totally the differences between the lens and bowls for each one or not.

Definitely a DIY I wouldn't want to do. Glad you got through it. Hope everything works today.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    Dang I tried to do a retrofit before and it is pretty complicated and hard. I still don't really understand the use of the AL bowls in the ZKW lens though. I mean besides the point that the ZKW bowls get burnt does the AL bowls do the same? Or is the AL bowls a permanent fix to this problem. Eventually I will have to do the retrofit but still undecided on which route I should take. I also have a set of FX-R lens sitting around. Sorry to jack the thread.

Everything looks awesome though. I know that on e46 there is a lot of photos of cut offs but not sure if it is totally the differences between the lens and bowls for each one or not.
    In this instance, Dane had a full set of AL headlights, so all he was swapping was the inner lens. The AL lights use a metal bowl, so yes, a permanent fix. It is possible to retrofit the AL bowls into the ZKW headlight housings, that is the DIY Charlie did. It is also possible to retrofit a newer ZKW produced bowl from the E90 cars into the ZKW lights that we have.

The best fix is to get completely new headlights, manufactured by AL. The next best bet is to retrofit, but either method will require custom work.

As for the cutoff, it's not as important as light output, it's more of a preference thing. But a really bad cutoff will induce glare on oncoming drivers..

Sent from my hybrid iPhone 4/4S...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

nike001 Guest
    I didn't think it was that hard when Terra and I did it. The most annoying part was getting the damn auto-level ball out of the holster in the bracket.

Dane, Did yo modify your cutoff shield as well? Terra and I did this (Cut the metal part in front of the cutoff shield) and my cutoff is about as good as it gets. I have awesome flicker. It's even more awesome when driving down the highway and my blue cutoff illuminates the street signs.

Glad to SEE this Dane.

What I did... can you see

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Oh, did you use the videos on YouTube? I found one and watched it, they retrofitted a ZKW lens into an AL headlight assembly. For those that already have AL's and did the swap, was it worth it? I have AL's and don't think the output is bad, but if it's a noticeable improvement I might leave it for a rainy day.
    I did....but the issue with all DIY's available......is no one talks about how to take apart your ZHW lights and housing......to get your ZKW lenses out, for install into the AL assemblies and bowls.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    I didn't think it was that hard when Terra and I did it. The most annoying part was getting the damn auto-level ball out of the holster in the bracket.

Dane, Did yo modify your cutoff shield as well? Terra and I did this (Cut the metal part in front of the cutoff shield) and my cutoff is about as good as it gets. I have awesome flicker. It's even more awesome when driving down the highway and my blue cutoff illuminates the street signs.
    I did not do this.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I spy with my little eye...

New cutoff. Holy shit is it nice to see. You fella's with AL's already...I think it may be worth it to pick up the ZKW lenses and do the swap. Having the lenses would not make the DIY too bad, imho.

Low's

High's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast