Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Help! Very rough idle and whining sound

Hi guys!

Just had those two weird problems!

Yesterday I used the car and all worked flawless. Today I start the car (its -14 Celsius outside) and 2 seconds after the engine dies.

I try to start it up again and then the idle is very very rough! The car literally shakes! After 20-15 secs I turn it off (and decide to take my gf's corolla)!

2-3 hours later I try to start it off again and, although the idle is a little better, you can still hear the whining sound for the first minute or so and then it disappears. (as per the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLzr9SfWG4) You can hear the whining sound pretty well at seconds 11-12 and 45-49 seconds.

The rough idle however doesn't go away for the entire video!

Any thought?

Look at your battery, if its an original BMW battery look at the top of the negative terminal. 2 sets of 2 digit numbers will be stamped in the top of that negative terminal. The first 2 digit is the week, 1-52, and the second is the year, as in the week of the year your battery was produced. With that super cold weather I'm guessing if your battery is over 5 years old then lower voltage to the engine on start up is occurring, you probably have a misfire code on bank 1 or 2 because of it, the computer is trying to compensate for it and you get a rough idle. I couldn't hear the whirring noise enough to diagnose it.

Bruce
    21 GMC Sierra - mine
    16 X5 M-Sport - wife
    11 M3 - 1st son
    04 Tundra - 2nd son
    17 X1 M-Sport - daughter

Former (mo/yr sold):
    15 335xi M-Sport (8/18)
    11 335is (8/17)
    11 X5 AW/blk (11/15)
    04 330xi blk/gray (7/15)
    06 ZHP SGM/blk (6/15)
    08 335xi blue/blk (4/15)
    04 ZHPci MB/blk (2/14)
    04 ZHPcic IR/Alc (10/13)
    01 540iT anthra/blk (7/13)
    04 ZHPci TIAG/blk (9/12)
    03 540i M-Sport (9/12)
    01 325ci (3/12)
    02 325iT 5MT (10/11)
    05 ZHPci (7/11)
    03 330cic (2/11)
    00 323ci (10/10)

If you have time early tomorrow morning (say before 9am), come by my place and I can check it out just PM me your # and I'll text you my address. I have a scanner for codes, etc.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Agree with BCS, check the battery. I would also check for any cracks in the Upper and lower intake boots that might be causing a vacuum leak. Also check the DISA. Start simple, get the codes read and give us more info.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the input!

As for the battery, I replaced it last month as it was completely dead! But even though I changed it, the start up still feel a little hard for my taste.

Ill try to get in touch with Alexandre as we are in the same area. I understand he has a code reader.

Thanks again for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by BCS_ZHP View Post
    Look at your battery, if its an original BMW battery look at the top of the negative terminal. 2 sets of 2 digit numbers will be stamped in the top of that negative terminal. The first 2 digit is the week, 1-52, and the second is the year, as in the week of the year your battery was produced. With that super cold weather I'm guessing if your battery is over 5 years old then lower voltage to the engine on start up is occurring, you probably have a misfire code on bank 1 or 2 because of it, the computer is trying to compensate for it and you get a rough idle. I couldn't hear the whirring noise enough to diagnose it.
    This sounds accurate. If your engine is giving you any codes make sure to pull them and read them. Violent shakes sound like a misfire like Bruce said. If you check your lower intake boot you might as well clean the idle control valve while you are in there.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I'm gonna check the car out next week, but yea I'm thinking ICV, MAF or a vacuum leak somewhere.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Yea, it becomes almost like a treasure hunt, especially if you get into looking at the CCV and all its pain in the butt hoses. I got so frustrated that I just replaced the upper and lower intake boot with Stett silicon and the CCV and all its hoses.

Maybe just the alternator voltage regulator since you have just got a new battery.

I was thinking about this some more, could be the cam position sensor or crank position sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast