Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front strut tower reinforcement plates for E46 330ci convertible & fracture of rear axle support fix

After reading several forum posts which make reference to the damage that can result in the front tower strut towers (mushrooming), I looked into maybe purchasing the E46 Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates (Pair) Part #: 51717036781 (51-71-7-036-781). HOWEVER, when I enter this P/N in realoem.com, this part ONLY shows up for SEDANS & TOURING models. I then ran my VIN# to search for this part only to find it NOT called out for my convertible. Is this issue ONLY for the 'other' models & NOT the 2 doors?
    fracture of rear axle support fix
    Has any one done the "cavity foam/structuring foam" fix per BMW TIS? Where did you buy the foam? Is there a "better or alternate" foam other than the BMW P/N's 83429410694 & 83420307530?
    '05 330CiC w/ZHP option Semper Fi!

That's weird. There shouldn't be any difference between the sedan and coupes/verts.
    Euro Techniks

Not sure. You might want to ask that on the e46f.c vert subforum for more ideas too.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I got my reinforcement plates from ESCtuning.com. They fit perfectly on the ZHP coupe. ESC Tuning lists them as "Genuine BMW" parts.
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ment/ES128656/

I think Realoem is just listing what cars they came on. They should fit all models. Like Dave, I have them on my coupe so I'm sure they should fit the vert. All E46s are susceptible to mushrooming so it's a good idea to install them on whatever you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I think Realoem is just listing what cars they came on. They should fit all models. Like Dave, I have them on my coupe so I'm sure they should fit the vert. All E46s are susceptible to mushrooming so it's a good idea to install them on whatever you drive.
    @MrMaico...should these be install inside the tower or outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmernut2 View Post
    @MrMaico...should these be install inside the tower or outside?
    Inside. You remove the wheels, put a floor jack under the CA ball joint, unbolt the three nuts that secure the strut mount to the tower. May have to remove the headlight level sensor from pass side and maybe the swaybar links from the struts. Then slowly lower the struts, place the plates on top of the mounts, jack back up and secure with the three nuts.

@All...I read that it also helps if you add the BMW Strut Brace. Has anyone else reador hear of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmernut2 View Post
    @All...I read that it also helps if you add the BMW Strut Brace. Has anyone else reador hear of this?
    It can be of some help but you are much better off with the reinforcement plates. There is only a small area of contact under each bolt hole....about the size of a thumbprint. There may be other brands that have the full contact between the bar and strut tower but it still won't give as much support as the plates considering that the strut tower isn't perfectly flat on top.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    It can be of some help but you are much better off with the reinforcement plates. There is only a small area of contact under each bolt hole....about the size of a thumbprint. There may be other brands that have the full contact between the bar and strut tower but it still won't give as much support as the plates considering that the strut tower isn't perfectly flat on top.

Barry
    +1

I have both, reinforcement plates are more important

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast