Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Dimming Angel Eyes doityourself

Quote Originally Posted by 328ioc View Post
    Personally I don't mind how bright the A/E's are. But I think I have seen other people wish they were dimmer. Any way you could do a DIY for the dimmer switch?

I would also just be interested to see how it was done.

Lool great too!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Wasn't a switch. I'm sure he can write something up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Here ya go, fellas: from that other forum, UncleDon's "Dimming and Tinting EAS Aurora Angel Eyes"

The basic gist is that to dim a light source, you decrease its voltage. The simplest way to do so, with an input of fixed voltage, is to increase the input's resistance. So, you could wire in a certain number of resistors to add a certain amount of resistance to get a certain amount of dimming, but if you want adjustability (because, y'know, what enthusiast makes up his mind just the once), you need a variable resistor, aka a rheostat:

(Picture from UncleDon's thread, linked above)

The E46F thread has a couple of really good comparison pics of, in this case, EAS Aurora LEDs at full-power vs dimmed. It also lists the (very short) parts list needed for this mod:
    • One 25-Ohm, 3-Watt potentiometer – I used Radio Shack model 271-265
    • One control knob – I used Radio Shack model 274-402
    • Something to put it in – I used Radio Shack model 270-1801, 3" x 2" x 1"

And then the picture above (pulled from the linked thread) shows how to put it all together:
    1. Cut the positive input cable of the AE harness & strip the two ends
    2. Drill four (4) holes in the enclosure: two for the wire in & wire out, one for the pot's shaft, & one for the pot's locating tab (the small tab seen just to the left of the pot's shaft in the picture above)
    3. Thread the wires through the in & out holes
    4. Solder the wires to the pot's terminals as pictured (check the terminals with a multimeter to be certain of which terminal is which)
    5. Secure the pot to the enclosure with the included nut & washer
    6. Secure the knob onto the pot's shaft
    7. Close up the enclosure
    8. Mount as you see fit (I used the double-sided foam tape that came with the AEs; the OP used Velcro)

Once you have it all together & your angel eyes installed, just turn them on & dim as you see fit; I started at full dim but noticed I could see the individual LEDs a bit more then I'd like, so now I'm at about half dimmed & think it looks great! (This is fully dimmed; I'll have to get a pic of where they are now.)

(Full dimmed)
    Last edited by Crickett; 09-18-2021 at 07:24 PM. Reason: fixed IMG URLs

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Looking awesome man! Guess I'll have to do that soon too

Good work. I love potentiometers. I find almost all AE are way too bright to my liking. It's more sad when they are brighter than the headlights (but thats ZKW's fault..)