Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

BMW 330i / Ci / Cic ZHP (E46 2003 - 2006) Automatic Transmission Reliability

Anyone here heard of or had one fail on them?

Discuss.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Auto trans in my '03 325i was still solid at 122k.

Fluid was never changed. No slippage or reverse issues (GM trans).

That being said, I read so many threads referencing auto trans problems/failures that it pushed me to sell and go for a manual.

Glad I did.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Auto trans in my '03 325i was still solid at 122k.

Fluid was never changed. No slippage or reverse issues (GM trans).

That being said, I read so many threads referencing auto trans problems/failures that it pushed me to sell and go for a manual.

Glad I did.
    But we're those trans failures, the ones you read about, pre 2003 or post?

Williamsburg, VA > Droid DNA > Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Hmmm. Perhaps MtnMan (auto was on its way out when sold) and ZHPnsnv can chime in:

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Auto transmissions with 100k on them that have never been touched (or bled) scare the bejeezus out of me and bring back bad memories of replacing one (to the tune of many many many dollars). You can certainly change the fluid, but that doesn't reverse the life of what it's already gone through. Just my experience and something to look out for.
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...931#post239931
    Fuelly

I can offer limited input. I had a 2004 Auto ZHP. I bought it from my bro in law at 114,000 miles (he had it from 30k). I had the fluid changed in the car at 120,000 miles for the first time. I sold the car at 170,000 miles. When i sold the car, i thought that i could feel the tranny starting to slip. It was most likely unnoticeable to anyone else. Honestly, it very well could have been something that was all in my head. I was constantly worried about the transmission going out because the damn things are so expensive to replace. This could have easily been the cause of my "feeling" the tranny slipping imperceptibly.

So, FWIW, i had a Feb 2004 build auto trans that lasted 170,000 miles (+) with only 2 trans fluid changes (a second change happened 5k after the first due to landscaping block in highway at 45 mph denting tranny case) For all i know, my car could still be out there toady with 200k on it.

Also, FWIW, the indie mechanic in Raleigh told me that "lifetime" to him on a BMW auto tranny is 180,000 miles.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    I can offer limited input. I had a 2004 Auto ZHP. I bought it from my bro in law at 114,000 miles (he had it from 30k). I had the fluid changed in the car at 120,000 miles for the first time. I sold the car at 170,000 miles. When i sold the car, i thought that i could feel the tranny starting to slip. It was most likely unnoticeable to anyone else. Honestly, it very well could have been something that was all in my head. I was constantly worried about the transmission going out because the damn things are so expensive to replace. This could have easily been the cause of my "feeling" the tranny slipping imperceptibly.

So, FWIW, i had a Feb 2004 build auto trans that lasted 170,000 miles (+) with only 2 trans fluid changes (a second change happened 5k after the first due to landscaping block in highway at 45 mph denting tranny case) For all i know, my car could still be out there toady with 200k on it.

Also, FWIW, the indie mechanic in Raleigh told me that "lifetime" to him on a BMW auto tranny is 180,000 miles.
    I said it before, somewhere else, but I'll say it again here. I drove this car right be fore David got rid of it. Never felt any type of slippage. And I romped on it pretty good.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

I have the step tranny in my ZHP. I'm not really too paranoid about it. When I begin looking at cars, my original idea was to get something with a manual tranny. I tested a few manuals including some 3 series Bimmers. After a few test drives I began to get second thoughts about getting a manual. Maybe I'm getting old but rowing through the gears just seemed like too much work. Even though I have owned 6 manual tranny vehicles over the years my last few have been automatics. Did I get spoiled? I think so. I have owned 8 automatic vehicles and none of them (knock on wood) have ever had any problems. Of all the tranny problems I have had, all of them were manuals.

BTW, as far a GM trannies go, those things are hard to break. I know somebody with a Pontiac who after replacing his radiator had a ATF leak and ran the tranny dry till it would not move forward in drive. All he had to do was refill it with ATF and it's still working fine today.

Dane I'm afraid if I reply my tranny will sense a "shift" in the force and decide its time.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    Dane I'm afraid if I reply my tranny will sense a "shift" in the force and decide its time.
    Copy. Your message is implied then. Got it.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

Autozone.com
    That other thread "Clutch replacement time" makes me glad I have the automatic.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast