Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Glad you found a way, Papa G. What fluid are you using for the swap? I went with RockAuto's AC Delco Dexron VI for $3.79 per quart. Ordered 21 qts, but I needed that much to do the multiple fill and drain cycles, since I didn't pull the cooling lines off. Doing it the way you are doing it sounds the best, since it gets every bit of the old fluid out and doesn't require as much. The Dexron VI works great in the GM auto transmission. Shifts very fast and smooth.

Doing it this way, does it automatically mean you would have the correct fluid level, or would you still need to top it off while warm if some of the old fluid had previously leaked out?

Are you changing the filter, as well?
    Thanks Salty. I was ready to admit defeat on this one and hire a mechanic to come to my garage, or worse yet, tow the car to a shop. I'm gonna try the valvoline maxlife. It's rated dex vi as well. I heard good things. And I had some laying around so why not. I remember when you bought all that AC delco, shipping was too expensive for me, evenwith that huge sale haha. TBH, I think I will need to top off he oil the normal way, through the fill plug, after I do it through the cooler. Problem is, the fill plug is seized and I can't get it open, and there's no space to fit a breaker bar or a socket wrench in there. I ordered a set of Allen torx keys and will try that with a thin steel pipe. After that I'm lost, because if hit it with pb blaster multiple times already. Heat sounds sketchy. Anyway, here's my plan:
    1. Open fill plug
    2. Drain fluid
    3. Remove sump & clean
    4. Replace filter & sump gasket & bolt it all back
    5. Pump new fluid through cooler
    6. Wait until new fluid is coming out inlet line
    7. Reattach inlet line.
    8. Top off through fill plug
    9. Take car on a drive
    10. Remove fill plug and top off again.
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

Sounds like a solid plan to me. You might have to let it cool down a little before topping off depending how quickly it cycles the fluid. I had INPA setup monitoring AT temp, and it climbed fast once the engine was running.

For that stuck fill plug, I used a torx bit and placed a box end ratchet wrench on it. That gets you in the tight space, and then you could put a long bar on the wrench for leverage or whack it with a dead blow hammer. The first time I removed mine, I had to whack it with the ball of my hand a few times, and it finally popped loose. It looked like it had some kind of thread sealant on it, or it could have just been some crud from years on the road thrown up on the undercarriage.

Third pic down is the setup:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...646#post554646

Valvoline Maxlife is good stuff.

It's sometimes a pain to take pics, especially when working with fluids, but if you happen to have a camera handy when you do the fluid swap, would love to see it in action.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Glad you solved that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Name:  torx.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  209.0 KB
    I've been trying this, as well as with a pipe, doesnt work. I am afraid bang it as i feel the wrenches bending already, but hey worth a shot i guess.
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

That's wild. I've never heard of one being stuck that bad. They're only supposed to have around 15 lbs of torque. It sounds like they used super glue on yours. When I whacked mine, it did make a cracking sound, so I kind of suspect it had some kind of thread sealer.

I have tried to think of how to word this without sounding like an insulting peckerwood, but don't know how, so I'll just say make sure you're turning it the right way. I was under the center of the car when I removed mine, and I caught myself about to turn the plug the wrong way, because I was working from the back side of the plug, and so it was clockwise to loosen based on where I was in relation to the plug. It's an easy enough mistake to make. Just trying to help. Don't shoot me.
    Bone stock at the moment

Nah I won't shoot you. But turns out my uncle Vinny from Atlantic City loves Lake Wylie this time of year. Maybe he pays you a visit to check on how your broken legs are healing up

ugh... hit it with a rubber mallet a few times and no luck. Might try taking a torch to it tonight . why should it come to this? why not put the fill plug in a more accessible area like is that a deal breaker or something???

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    Nah I won't shoot you. But turns out my uncle Vinny from Atlantic City loves Lake Wylie this time of year. Maybe he pays you a visit to check on how your broken legs are healing up
    Life in the mafia. Dang, sorry it is being so stubborn.
    Bone stock at the moment

gonna try dropping the transmission just enough to fit a breaker bar in there. With a breaker bar I am positive it will crack open.

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    With a breaker bar I am positive it will crack open...
    NOPE THE DAMN BOLT DECIDED TO STRIP ON ME. WHY?! WHYYYYYYYY!!!???

*UPDATE* My cousin came over last night, I bought one of these stripped screw/bolt extractor bits and we wrenched that sucker open with that red pipe wrench in the back ground. keeping this as a souvenir haha, to remind me that nothing is impossible. Bought a new plug from the stealership for only $27...
    Name:  got it.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  1.22 MB

*UPDATE #2* After refilling with new Dex VI, i am amazed how smooth the shifting is. Like butter. Can't even feel it. Before there was a noticeable lurch, especially between 1st and 2nd gears.
    Last edited by papa_g; 03-28-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567