Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    OK so car is on jack stands, i've removed the old leaking cooler line by sawing through it at the middle because I could not snake it out. Now I cannot snake the new one in. I've tried releasing the power steering pump to give the line more room, but still not working. I saw the oil dipstick tube was sort of in the way so I toyed with removing it but I do not think it will make a difference. I am lost right now and could really use some help. There are no DIYs out there for replacing the cooler lines..
    ~ 2005 330ci ZHP Silbergrau | Black cube | Leather ~
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.
    My project thread ---> http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...into-a-reality

It may be getto but wouldn't it be easier to simply cut out the leaking rubber parts and replace just that with couplers and hose clamps?

Maybe, but I already have the part and the old line is out. I a considering biting the bullet and calling a mobile mechanic unless someone out there has a solution
    Current Mods: Akebono brake pads, Bilstein B4 Rear Shocks, Beisan Systems VANOS Rebuild, G.A.S. DISA O-ring, Morimoto fog lights, StopTech SS brake lines, Subwoofer tennis ball mod, Switchback Angel Eyes (turn signal), Zimmermann drilled rotors.

Somebody said on fanatics that it helps to jack up the engine a little> Do you think that would help?

it might...I was hoping it would not come to that. I have to undo the engine mounts for that right?

Quote Originally Posted by papa_g View Post
    it might...I was hoping it would not come to that. I have to undo the engine mounts for that right?
    Yes. Just loosen the nuts at the subframe.

I have had great luck with resetting the adaptions.

Not a paid plug - but I had great dealings with these guys on the X3 transfer case -

https://cobratransmission.com/

I had much better access on the X5 when I pulled one of the engine mounts - you probably could do the job without - I found it to be far far easier to snake the cooler lines through.

There is a bracket near the cooler that attaches the lines to the frame - only the one.

Best you tube I have seen on e46 is the guy in Cal doing the auto to manual transmission swap on a e46 - shows you clearly where the lines go and how to remove them on a e46...
    Last edited by PetesZ; 03-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Yes. Just loosen the nuts at the subframe.
    Ok, I got the driver side pretty easily with a breaker bar. The passenger side is tricky with the exhaust manifold in the way. I had to go buy a universal joint socket and use a couple extension pieces with an impact wrench. No luck. I will try now, with the breaker bar. If that doesn't work, I will go from underneath, attach a wrench to the nut and hit it with a hammer til it comes loose lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesZ View Post
    I had much better access on the X5 when I pulled one of the engine mounts - you probably could do the job without - I found it to be far far easier to snake the cooler lines through.

There is a bracket near the cooler that attaches the lines to the frame - only the one.

Best you tube I have seen on e46 is the guy in Cal doing the auto to manual transmission swap on a e46 - shows you clearly where the lines go and how to remove them on a e46...
    Yeah I tried snaking it through from both end and no cigar. But I will look up a video on the tranny swap, maybe it can shed some light to my situation.

OH HAPPY DAAAYYYY. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!! IT WAS THE STEERING COUPLER. I REMOVED IT AND VOILA! LINE MANEUVERED RIGHT THROUGH.
    I am so fucking relieved good lord that was a project. I wouldn't wish that kind of frustration on my worst enemy. I jacked the engine up, but I don't think it was necessary. The steering coupler was the real roadblock in this situation. Getting it off was a real bitch, but perseverance has paid off. I may post a DIY on this, no pictures, but maybe some detailed instructions.
    Now I am going to flush the oil fluid out by pumping in new fluid through the cooler. Didn't think I would pull this off good grief

Autozone.com
    Glad you found a way, Papa G. What fluid are you using for the swap? I went with RockAuto's AC Delco Dexron VI for $3.79 per quart. Ordered 21 qts, but I needed that much to do the multiple fill and drain cycles, since I didn't pull the cooling lines off. Doing it the way you are doing it sounds the best, since it gets every bit of the old fluid out and doesn't require as much. The Dexron VI works great in the GM auto transmission. Shifts very fast and smooth.

Doing it this way, does it automatically mean you would have the correct fluid level, or would you still need to top it off while warm if some of the old fluid had previously leaked out?

Are you changing the filter, as well?
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast