Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    So far so good. No issues except for a occasionally a hesitation to up shift on hard acceleration. I think the Sprint Booster has modified this condition. Changed the tranny oil at 110K, it was Nasty! Shifts way better now. Honestly I love driving my ZHP with an auto, call me a wuss but I do. I usually drive in SD mode with my Sprint Booster on Green and its perfect.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Wolfn8tr,

When you replaced the ATF did you also replace the filter? What method did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Wolfn8tr,

When you replaced the ATF did you also replace the filter? What method did you use?
    Pan drop, filter, 5qt, magnet refresh most likely.... Unless he had it flushed. Wolfy? Ohhhhhhh Wooooooolfy!

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    But we're those trans failures, the ones you read about, pre 2003 or post?

Williamsburg, VA > Droid DNA > Tapatalk
    Both, iirc. Mostly reverse solenoid failure in the GM trans, but others more severe failures requiring rebuild.

From MMiller:
    "Here is the short answer: Automatic transmissions are the bane of my existence, and the
    darn thing will be the bane of yours, too, at replacement time."

"On the other hand, I have seen maintained automatics last 200,000 miles. I have also seen
    un-maintained automatics last 200,000 miles, although both are very rare. There's just no
    predicting with these transmissions. When you choose to buy an automatic transmission,
    you also buy into the vagaries of the darn things, which is one reason technicians hate
    them."

And with respect to associating the "GM" auto trans with the USA domestic trans-- "At automatic transmission replacement time, we are confronted with the reality that the local transmission shop cannot rebuild BMW automatic transmissions, even those built by GM (BMW’s GM transmissions bear no resemblance to GM transmission in domestic cars)."
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Pan drop, filter, 5qt, magnet refresh most likely.... Unless he had it flushed. Wolfy? Ohhhhhhh Wooooooolfy!

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk
    Will reply shortly, driving home.

Ok Im in the Crib.

My tranny took approx 7 quarts of oil. I ordered everything thru ECSTuning. I did alot of reading on how to change the oil and should you change the oil, flush or no flush etc. Proper way to flush would be to change the oil, drive it a few hundred miles then change it again. The torque converter holds oil so you don't actually drain all of the old oil. I can't even describe how Nasty the oil was at 110K. The biggest issue is getting the car high enough so you have room to work underneath safely, I used ramps and jack stands. The car has to be level for the refill to be accurate. I recommend doing this when the car is cool. It is very messy so lay down something to protect the floor, I used three hefty garbage bags and a large oil drip pan. If you have a friend to help its a huge plus. Make sure to remove the fill plug first before draining the oil just incase it will not come out after you have already drained the oil. I could not get a socket in between the tranny and the body so I used a allen socket and a wrench. Drain the oil, remove the filter, clean the pan and magnet, clean the gasket mating surface of the tranny. Do Not clean anything else inside the tranny. Make sure to not get any debris inside the tranny. The drain pan bolts are torqued to 8 foot pounds. Reinstall the filter (make sure the retaining ring is on the filter) oil pan and pump approx 6 quarts into the tranny, start the car, Foot on the Brake, shift thru the gears, get back under the car to finish topping off the oil level. The tranny oil will be at proper temp in 10 minutes if you do not have a temp probe.
    Here is a link that I used to do mine even thou not the same car it is very close.

AUTOMATIC TRANNY OIL CHANGE:
    http://blog.bavauto.com/11194/bmw-di...ce-auto-trans/

ECSTUNING OIL CHANGE KIT:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES2523867/ES2523867/

Oh Ya....Do Not get any tranny oil on the exhaust or the transmission as it will smell horrible for a loooong time! I even cleaned mine thoroughly and it still stunk!
    Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 02-08-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks for the DIY.

When you pulled the fill plug with the motor off, did atf drain out? Normally it does. I have access to a IR thermometer gun. Can I use that pointed at the pan? What temp? Would it be better to simply put my hand on the pan and when it's too hot to leave there it's good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Thanks for the DIY.

When you pulled the fill plug with the motor off, did atf drain out? Normally it does. I have access to a IR thermometer gun. Can I use that pointed at the pan? What temp? Would it be better to simply put my hand on the pan and when it's too hot to leave there it's good?
    No oil came out when the plug was removed. The target temp is 130-140 degrees, my tranny hit 130 in 10 minutes of idling. You need to test the oil itself. The hand on the pan trick would work, its pretty close to the required temp.

just FYI:
    There's a 18-page sticky at Bimmerfest with a poll (based on mileage) on this topic - has a great amount of data there too:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=287616

2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

My 2005 BMW 325i sedan is still going strong with STEP auto at about 200,000 miles (and no service!) - my son is driving it still when I replaced it with a ZHP.

Autozone.com
    Great news.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast