Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike:

Understood - Chris and Doug both would kill me in STX. Certainly know that for KC, and for this STX class, that I have the wrong car and set up, so...................at least my car SOUNDS great, and with new wheels and tires, would look great. I know this sounds defeatest, but hell, like I said, I won my class just a few years ago, so have that - just want to 1) have fun, then 2) be somewhat competitive. I missed all last season with BS work schedule taking me on flights on most event weekends, then I just wrote the season off. Won't happen this year.

It will be nice to see you out there again. I autoxed more last year than the prior 3 years combined. I had a hard time turning down offers to co-drive the M Coupe!

Bob B. is co-driving Doug's car this year, so that's another quick driver in STX in a well-prepped car. Not sure if Chris will have a co-driver, or if he even comes out much this year. They are talking about buying a lakehouse so if that happens, I don't think we'll see him much. Chuck Wilson is also quick in his newly acquired E30 M3.

OK, Bob in Doug's car = bad news for me in STX. I though Chuck raced his family car last year - a VW, or a Chevy of some kind? because of problems and/or repairs he needed on his M3?? FYI, I almost bought Chuck's 325is.

I think I want to continue with RE-11s, as I have liked them in the past. Apex recommended 245/40/R17s tire size to be used with the RE-11s. If anyone is still reading this - weigh in on this tire size with the 17X9 wheels please

If you can fit 255s go for it.

My buddy has apex 17x9 on his e36 m and run 255 z1s and they are fine. You are not squeezing too much tire at all.

I have 265 on a 9" wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

245 might be more of a stretch, increasing sidewall stiffness and increasing response

Do you need to get power down or increase response? That is what you need to answer

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    If he goes 17x9 he'll be bumped into STX. That's not OEM size.

As well, 17" wheel size you're limited to 255 tires. There are no 265 tire for 17"
    Ah yes, there was no 9" stock rim, for some reason I was thinking there was. Also looks like they don't make the star spec in a 17" 265 anymore, which sucks, although it may not be one of the faster tires this year anyway. I was actually about to pull the trigger on some at the end of last year but didn't want to store them over the winter...woops.

To get back to the OP, RTR would be your cheapest competitive angle, but mods for stx, even if less competitive make the car so much more fun. So if that's your number one goal looks like a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff57ax View Post
    OK, Bob in Doug's car = bad news for me in STX. I though Chuck raced his family car last year - a VW, or a Chevy of some kind? because of problems and/or repairs he needed on his M3?? FYI, I almost bought Chuck's 325is.

I think I want to continue with RE-11s, as I have liked them in the past. Apex recommended 245/40/R17s tire size to be used with the RE-11s. If anyone is still reading this - weigh in on this tire size with the 17X9 wheels please
    I'm not sure if Chuck is going to continue to run his Cobalt SS and switch to the E30 M3 this year. A couple weeks ago, I saw him down here in the sticks going the other way on Hwy 50. It was an odd site to see an E30 M3 in these parts so naturally I had to ask what he was up to haha. He was on his way to Metric Mechanic to get something fixed that they had screwed up while doing some engine work. Hopefully he has the car sorted enough to drive it at the autoxes. The turbo version of the Cobalt SS is impressive, but I think he'd have more fun running STX with the E30.

I have 245s on my 9s on my E36 M3 sedan it felt great the one time I autoxed it. There is not much stretch, but 255s would be ideal. I started out with 255s on the car but I was having rubbing issues, so I swapped those tires to the RX-7 and acquired 245s for the M3. Those same 255s worked great on the ZHP when I still had it.

FWD turbo in a ST class is no where to play, IMO

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    FWD turbo in a ST class is no where to play, IMO
    He runs his Cobalt in DS and the E30 M3 in STX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12