Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big list of maintenance to do list that I need some help with

Okay so im going to tackle a number of things on the car that I've been putting off for a while that I figure I might as well tackle them all while im in there. So here's the list let me know if I may be missing something in that area.

1. Power steering lines leaking
    2. Oil leak that as far as I can tell is coming from the left side of the motor will inspect further this evening to determine for sure.
    3. CCV has been done so no need for that I hope.
    4. ICV has been removed and cleaned with CCV job as well as the TB
    5. Intake boots are solid
    6. Secondary air pump malfunction: I believe I have a crack or leak in one of the 7. vacuum lines that runs from the intake to the exhaust side to open up the one way 8. valve on the pump system as my air pump comes on with start up but valve does not open. So I need to access the module that controls that vacuum.

The majority of what Im wanting to work on is going to be on the intake side of the motor. I also have a malfunctioning oil level indicator that may just have to wait til I change the oil next.

I was thinking if I replaced the OFHG I should change the oil or does this seem to be all that necessary when doing this or can the Oil filter housing be removed without losing the oil?

Thank you for the help guys!

'01 330i

OFHG can be replaced without changing the oil. You might lose a half quart at most from the filter housing itself, probably much less if you open filter cover to drain excess oil back into the block before removing OFH.

Two of the 4 power steering lines connect to the cooling coil with quick disconnects. Disconnecting those can be tricky without specialty tool. I think I used vise grips + a screwdriver to get them off. Replacing PS lines means most of the PS ATF will drain out.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    OFHG can be replaced without changing the oil. You might lose a half quart at most from the filter housing itself, probably much less if you open filter cover to drain excess oil back into the block before removing OFH.

Two of the 4 power steering lines connect to the cooling coil with quick disconnects. Disconnecting those can be tricky without specialty tool. I think I used vise grips + a screwdriver to get them off. Replacing PS lines means most of the PS ATF will drain out.
    Awesome tips. Im due to do a flush of the power steering fluids anyway so that's not a problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Just as a heads up... I did not disconnect the PSL's.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

How was CCV ? Did you do the hoses too ? Cold climate version ?

Might wanna do pulleys and belts if they're old while you're in there... Cheap insurance.

No need to drain oil for OFHG. Just top up after everything is put back together.

Clean MAF. Often overlooked yet makes a big difference with throttle response.

Sub'd for info on SAP job. I'm suspecting issues with mine.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    How was CCV ? Did you do the hoses too ? Cold climate version ?

Might wanna do pulleys and belts if they're old while you're in there... Cheap insurance.

No need to drain oil for OFHG. Just top up after everything is put back together.

Clean MAF. Often overlooked yet makes a big difference with throttle response.

Sub'd for info on SAP job. I'm suspecting issues with mine.
    Are you getting fault codes for the airpump?

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    Are you getting fault codes for it?

Nope... But I have consistent rough startups in indoor garages after approx. 8h of sitting, that don't happen when disconnecting the SAP. Probably a tiny vacuum leak that doesn't trigger SES. How about you ?

Are you sure your PS lines are leaking?

The OFHG leak usually makes it way right down to the PS lines and drips from there making it look like you have a PS fluid leak when you don't.

This was the case on my 325i.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Are you sure your PS lines are leaking?

The OFHG leak usually makes it way right down to the PS lines and drips from there making it look like you have a PS fluid leak when you don't.

This was the case on my 325i.
    The OE clamps used on the PS lines are garbage and leaks there are very common. Mine are leaking a little but I haven't bothered with it yet. They usually leak right where the lines attach to the reservoir though, so if it's somewhere else you might wanna degrease the whole thing after changing OFHG to see if it's an actual PS leak or if it was oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast