Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many is too many?

I'm in the market for a new baby. Obviously, the lowest miles I can find is the best option, but does any one have thoughts on how many miles are too many miles? At what point does maintenance out way the benefits?

Thanks!

It all depends on price vs. maintenance done vs. maintenance you wanna do yourself.

I got mine with 204k on it, and it looked great, the engine was solid, and most big issues were taken care of. There were a few quirks to iron out, but it's been superbly reliable for the 9k or so I've driven in it. I'm glad to have saved the cash vs. a lower-mileage one.

These engines (and manual trannys) are bulletproof. If you don't mind putting in the time to bring the maintenance up to date when you buy the car, mileage means nothing.

Here's a general idea of what's required and at what intervals. This is by no means fully representative - actual wear of items will depend on road conditions, driving style, etc. I'm on a lot of my original suspension components, and I've far exceeded those mileage estimates - but for example, my starter went at 170k when it's said to last 200k.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ve-maintenance

Apart from that, it'll be mostly repairs or preventative maintenance for your peace of mind. For example, I am replacing my radiator next week. It cost me $124, there's nothing wrong with my original one, but it's cheap insurance - I'd rather replace it on my own schedule than on the car's schedule and have to deal with a tow, etc.

I've checked a bit around, and 160,000-180,000 looks to be the spot where most repairs happen to be needed at the same time - I had a ton of receipts from this 20k range when I bought my car, and many higher mileage cars I've seen for sale had a bunch of work done at that range too. If your seller has followed maintenance schedules, there should be not much to worry about. There's quite a few members on here with 150-175k+ cars and we all enjoy them a whole lot!

-----

On the other side, if you plan to have the car serviced at the local garage or dealer, get the lowest mileage you can find (i.e. < 60k). That $5 oil filter housing gasket replacement is a 4h DIY, but would probably cost a healthy $600-700 in labor at the dealer.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

I would say having more than 3 babies is too many for most families, though if you're rich like Brangelina you can afford nannies, cooks, drivers, etc. I used to think nobody should have more than 2, but since not everyone has them, that would mean the eventual extinction of the human race.

Wait, you meant a new car! Would it be a BMW? On the ZHP I say in theory the miles don't matter as long as everything was well maintained, but the maintenance costs does rise with the miles, incrementing around 60-80K, again at 100-120K, maybe again at 160K, and then around 250K you might need to rebuild the engine. Beyond some point you get more electronic components and wiring failing, but I'm not sure if that's dependent more on miles or years.

Type of miles also matters... track/AutoX/burnout vs. highway and salty roads vs. summer miles.

Just purchased one with 141k on the ODO. I got it for a great deal, with minimal history.

Being mechanically inclined, I had no issues with this at all and would do it over again in an instant.

Just depends on the car, IMO. I had two well maintained high mileage E36 M3s that were perfect, but my third 'low' mileage M3 cost me over half of the car's value in maintenance. Both my ZHPs have been well maintained, no major issues w/ ~120k miles.
    E92 335i M-Sport
    997 S

Cool, thanks all!

I see these are some of your first posts. Please feel free to introduce yourself in the new members section.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

nike001 Guest
    I'd say stay away from cars with 80-110k. Everything breaks between then.. and I mean everything.

So before 80k to get OE stuff on the car, and 100-110+ to get a car that has had all issues taken care of... or you'd hope. You'd probably be able to tell. If the PO has the car around 100-110k and not much has been replaced, chances are good that the car was neglected and you're gonna have to fix a looot of stuff.

There is no real "too many" when it comes to mileage. It's really about how the previous owner took care of the car. I bought mine with 72K on the clock. I went ahead and replaced the CABs, water pump, VCG, VANOS and rear brakes (not all at once). This brought the car up to a "safe" level of perceived reliability, and now I'm at 102K. Almost 103K. I've had the car for about a year and a half. It's left me stranded twice. Once because I'm a dumbass and didn't replace the battery in time. The second time is because there was a drain on the battery I was unaware of and needed a jump. Mechanically, it is sound. It could use a fluid refresh in the gearbox and differential, though. I anticipate this car lasting me until at least 220K.

For the record, I owned an E30 for seven years. I bought it with 218K on the clock. It had been spruced up quite a bit and the top end was rebuilt. I drove it until the odometer broke two years later at 237K. Then I drove it for another four. Aside from very annoying oil leaks and some busted CABs, she only left me stranded once due to the 24 year old fuel pump giving up the ghost. That was it. It started every time.

I still miss that car...

Mine has 159000 and is still going strong. As mentioned, do the maintenance and all will be well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast