Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've had the power steering leak since I got the car it just hasn't been bad enough to warrant the replacement of the lines that i've been putting off im just trying to motivate myself to do it now while im doing other things.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Okay so got an update.

Night before last me and a buddy tackled the OFHG. It really wasn't difficult just time consuming, the hardest parts were getting the alternator back into position properly and removing the plasticized gasket on the oil filter housing (200k).

As far as the leak man o man there was oil everywhere. Probably close to half a quart on that side of the motor in each and every recessed spot on the block there was a pool of it. In my tiredness I completely forgot to take any pictures but from the other pics I've seen on the internet it was by far worse then any id seen. I need to find a way to get all that gunk off of there. I probably should have cleaned it thoroughly but I was itching to get it back together so I got the majority of it up and put everything back together. Im not sure the best way to go about cleaning it now but its no longer leaking oil so that's a plus.

I didn't tackle any of the other things on my list as money is kind of short right now so the power steering lines on the reservoir are going to have to wait a little longer but im probably going to get a new reservoir as well while im at it.

'01 330i

At least you should try and clean one of those recesses next to the OFHG (to the right of it). This way you can just look with a flashlight now and then to see if the sucker fills back up or is staying bone dry.

Mine looked bad too but I think that you loose a lot around that area when you pull the OFHG off.

Looked like that with oil pooled here, here, and here?

325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    At least you should try and clean one of those recesses next to the OFHG (to the right of it). This way you can just look with a flashlight now and then to see if the sucker fills back up or is staying bone dry.

Mine looked bad too but I think that you loose a lot around that area when you pull the OFHG off.

Looked like that with oil pooled here, here, and here?
    Yes I did clean those areas up. There's just a massive amount of oil all over the side of the motor down to the transmission. I feel like a neglecting owner

'01 330i

Easiest way to clean this is to shoot degreaser from under the engine.

Make sure you torque the bolt for the VANOS oil line properly - I undertorqued mine, and now I have to redo everything!
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

I have a degreaser that I use on my BBQ, works wonders on engine gunk. I'll figure out what it is when I get home

What's the torque on that line?

Awesome thanks!

'01 330i

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    What's the torque on that line?

Awesome thanks!

24 ft/lb if you can get a torque ranch on the lower one. The upper one going to Vanos is easier to get to. Don't forget to get new crush washers for those.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    24 ft/lb if you can get a torque ranch on the lower one. The upper one going to Vanos is easier to get to. Don't forget to get new crush washers for those.
    I didn't have the washers so im going to get those soon. I just took the top fitting loose not the bottom one because I knew I would need to replace those washers

'01 330i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12