Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Oil filter housing gasket leak. DIY?

So, Ive been leaking from my oil filter housing lately and need to change the gasket. Ive already bought the part. My question is, Has anyone else had this issue and done a DIY? Is it a tough fix? Ive done some pretty tough stuff on my previous jetta GLI, but not too much on the ZHP. Any input helps. Thanks!

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

I did it in August and it's not too bad of a job - worst part is removing/reinstalling the alternator. There is basically zero gap where it attaches to the block, and you'll probably have to hammer it out and back in. Apart from that it's pretty straightforward.

Make sure you have the right torque specs for the housing bolts and the VANOS oil line - I didn't torque mine properly, and now I have to do everything all over again.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Just did mine yesterday. What he said on everything ^^ torque on the housing bolts is 22 nm. There are several diys online. I started a thread not too long ago discussing it. I should have taken some pics but didn't even think about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

'01 330i

Not difficult. Was the first DIY I did on an E46 and I didn't have any issues.

Read about a lot of people having a tough time with the alternator. I was fortunate, mine came off and went on with no problems.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Nice! The thing is, I replaced the alternator at the end of the summer so it should come off pretty easily. Another this is I checked out a couple of those DIY threads, and pretty much everything I took out to replace the alternator needs to come out on this job. Thanks guys. Makes me feel much better! Also has anyone done a radiator replace? Ive got a small leak

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerWill View Post
    Just did mine yesterday. What he said on everything ^^ torque on the housing bolts is 22 nm. There are several diys online. I started a thread not too long ago discussing it. I should have taken some pics but didn't even think about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Will, Do you by any chance know off the top, or know anywhere I could see the tools needed? My buddys with all the tools moved out to Cali recently, and I have a pretty lame collection myself lol.

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Just a set of ratchets and wrenches, a dead blow hammer, and a can or 2 of degreaser

IIRC there's no torx screws to remove but I might be wrong on this.

One thing to keep in mind Cameron is to keep track of all the bolts securing the OFHG cover to the block. They each have to go back into their original spots. The DIY should also cover this. Luckily, BP came over to give me a hand when I did mine last summer

Forgot the most important - torque wrench - in the tools.

Here's a pic from a DIY on E46F for reference for the bolts:

Likin' the diagram, very interesting stuff. I'Ve been lucky so far, this is one of the few DIY I haven't done yet. Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast