Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

normal driver's door lock behavior

Hello, I'm been fooling around with my lock and think I have it down... The only thing that is odd, is that I cannot lock the driver door (all others work fine) by pushing down on the lock indicator rod when the door is OPEN. Is this normal?

Thanks.
    Fuelly

Oh, another question: I think I new a new gm v module (reprogramming will not work). Can I buy one straight off of ebay or do I need to program it to my car? I'm worried having xenons, 4drs, etc.... will need programming)
    Fuelly

I think that's normal behavior. A lot of German cars won't let you lock the drivers door while its open. It keeps you from locking yourself out of the car.
    ~Will
    2004 Imola Red 330i
    6MT, Black Leather, Silver Cube, Cold Weather pkg, mostly Stock

perfectly normal, even my 1982 320i has the same inability to lock the driver's door if it is still open

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Oh, another question: I think I new a new gm v module (reprogramming will not work). Can I buy one straight off of ebay or do I need to program it to my car? I'm worried having xenons, 4drs, etc.... will need programming)
    What exactly are you experiencing that makes you want to replace it? Have you looked into GM5 repair opposed to complete replacement: http://www.bmwgm5.com/

i'm worried a reprogram isn't going to catch everything, especially since it's not exhibiting the exact symptoms indicated in the link.

Could someone:

1) Give specific details on why re-programming is necessary?
    2) What causes the glitch(s) in the first place?
    3) How can one prevent future occurrences? I would hate to have to repeatedly send in my GM V.
    4) What exactly is reprogrammed? Is it just a reset which reverts EVERYTHING back to stock - correcting all issues, or is someone specifically editing the GM V's code correcting only what is necessary? I know what is wrong and am worried that the re-programmer (if one is manually going through the code) won't catch it since it's not exhibiting one of the indicative GM V failure symptoms. My GM V is incorrectly firing pin 1 -> 5 on the actuator which jams it lock (can't unlock or use key).

I'm assuming since the GM V reprogram costs $100, it's not a like a factory reset since that would just be a really simple procedure - erase, copy, paste. To me, it seems like each GM V needs to be specifically tailored to the vehicle (4 drs = 4 actuators, etc...). If I bought a new working GM V I wouldn't have to worry right? Start from a clean slate?

I am reluctant to have it programmed since I am thinking my GM V was reprogrammed incorrectly by the PO in the first place since firing pins 1 -> 5 will always cause this issue (I managed to reproduce this on another actuator hooked up to a external 12V source) and it's only affecting the door lock. I find it very hard to believe that the code just happened to change on its own...
    Fuelly

Oh, i forgot to add that I think my GM V needs to be reprogrammed AND that there is a bad relay - hence why I want to just buy a new one... The voltage is there and at the correct pins to instigate an unlock but the actuator is very weak (not enough current). Ugh, part of my door lock cylinder assembly was also broken, so as you can see I've been troubleshooting this issue and every time I solve one, another one seems to pop up!!!
    Fuelly

normal driver's door lock behavior

I could be wrong but I believe in the case of the repair guy in LA he actually takes the module apart and re-solders bad connections/replaces faulty designed parts that cause the funky issues to begin with. It seems to just be one of those known issues that BMW doesn't wanna deal with like the VANOS problems

For example, extended warranty replaced my faulty VANOS with a brand new unit. I will still be installing the complete Beisan kit on this new unit so I don't have to worry about the seals/rattle.

I'm pretty sure the GM V repair also includes replacing any bad relays.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    I'm pretty sure the GM V repair also includes replacing any bad relays.
    I'll email and send it in then!
    Fuelly