Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faulty GM5!!

Faulty GM5!!

Ok , so after months of EXTREME aggravation, I have found out that I have a rarely notorious issue with my GM5 module. I'm really quite unsure if any of you have dealt with this yet, as it took me forever to figure out what the hell it was. The GM5 is used to control a variety of different functions.
    -Power window control (up and down control of windows)
    -Remote entry (locking and unlocking via key fob and central locking button)
    -Trunk release (via key fob, handle button and interior trunk release button)
    -Vehicle alarm (siren, tilt & sonar sensors and clown nose light)
    -Windshield wiper and washer (both front and rear if equipped)
    -Interior lights
    The GM5 sits deep behind the glove compartment.

The problem started to occur when I would go to unlock my doors with the button on the key. At first it started off by only unlocking the driver door when pressed, and none of the others. Then when I would try to manually pull the passenger door knobs, nothing would happen(they would pull, but not open the lock). Then I'd try the unlock button in the center console.....nothing would happen. Now this thing is PICKY and random. It only gets faulty in extreme hot or cold conditions for the most part, and has gotten MUCH worse with time. Now its at the point where, if its acting up, I have to manually unlock my door with the key(mind you, using the key to try and unlock all the doors by twisting it to the left a couple times won't work either). I can't tell you how many problems this has caused me with passengers and cargo. Not to mention its an insanely HUGE safety issue. God forbid I had a child, and wouldn't be able to get them out of the car if needed in the situation of an emergency!

Anyway, with my mechanic not knowing what the hell was going on, to BMW not even recognizing this as an issue yet, I did my research and found this guys site. http://www.bmwgm5.com/ . He fixes it for $100 as opposed to BMW charging somewhere around 1k for a new GM5 module and labor! On his site he even encourages people to complain to the National Highway Traffic Safety Act, in hopes that if enough people do complain, NHTSA may require BMW to acknowledge the problem and come out with a fix. Which I hope happens soon, because believe me, if you ever have this issue, you're going to start to develop a hate towards you're beloved ZHP as I did. Its like it knows when its the most inconvenient time possible to act up! I swear it knows lol!

So....anyone else have/had this headache?

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

Yep, this issue has circulated around the forum.

I think my GM V is also going haywire, but for me it's not acting up as a typical GM V failure would (your link displays these common symptoms), so I'm reluctant to have it sent in.

I've spent days non-stop trying to figure it out. After taking apart the door to get to the actuator (since only my driver side is misfiring) I made sure all of the connections worked (measured resistance from 151 actuator connection to GM V) and traced it back to the GM V. I recorded all of the voltage and resistances with the battery on and off for each pin (7) in every state (unlock, lock, double lock) and in reverse order in case of diodes and utilization of reverse current. There are two motors in the door which do depend on reversing the current to work. This translates into many, many permutations of course, but I have them all down and now am intimately familiar with my door actuator and how the GM V sends it commands. It too has caused me many hours of frustration.
    Fuelly

Seriously, man. Either way what a truly OBNOXIOUS problem to have... I have to have my passengers crawl through the car to get in, and with how meticulous I am with keeping the inside of the car spotless I just can't take it anymore. Believe it or not, I've even put off a few dates with females in the past, in fear of this problem. So fricken embarrassing. I'm sorry to hear that you're issue is quite opposite in the manner of which doors are doing what and such.

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Yeah me too actually! I've rejected carrying passengers because I am too embarrassed to have to them open up my door from the outside with my key (ok, ok, I could just roll down my window and insert my key awkwardly from outside and then pull the handle myself! ). People, please file away complaints to the NHTSA. I wished I had read that site a little more. Look for 2003-2005 BMW 330i's and there's a HUGE number of GM V complaints (probably second only to the burnt bowls issue). There's also the taillight problem (which has already been recalled).
    Fuelly

Faulty GM5!!

mine will be sent to bmwgm5.com for repair soon, I just need to take it out one day and put it in the mail.

my problems are not as bad as those I've heard but still annoy me. My unlock/lock on the key only works when it feels like it, my trunk open on the key doesn't work at all, and my drivers window opens and closes itself when I open the door (but only sometimes).

Smh...BMW

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

I had same type issues. sent it to bmwgm5.com turnaround was super quick
    http://www.cobywheel.com/images/banners/cobybanner1 copy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by coby1 View Post
    I had same type issues. sent it to bmwgm5.com turnaround was super quick
    Good to know! He made it seem that way on his site, but you never know for sure until you get a review.

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

good heads up Cameron, fortunately I haven't experienced these issues with either car as of yet...(fingers crossed)...

Were the 2003-2005 models the only ones really affected by this issue or did the earlier models also experience this?

'01 330i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast