Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lots of smoke and oil leak

I had a burning smell coming from my car, lots of white smoke, loss of power when giving gas in 2nd gear, not consistent, but intermittent, and black oil leaking from exhaust. My mech thinks its the CCV which he had replaced 2 years ago, but there is white residue on the gas cap. I'm thinking HG blew with oil going in. What's the appropriate test to check for this? Pressure test all the cylinders?

This was just out of the blue?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Compression test all cyls and cooling system pressure test.

Check oil as well. If it looks like Chocolate Milk, you have oil/water mixing which can indicate a HG failure.

Lots of white smoking coming out of the exhaust makes me think head gasket.

Was it enough smoke that if people were behind they would not be able to see?

Compression test along with a leak down test are usually sure fire ways to know if you've got a serious head problem.

Check your oil before anything else.

How stable is your idle?

Mech did compression test, they seem to think its ccv. I did have massive amounts of smoke, and he said that the ccv caused all the oil to be dumped through the intake.
    It was out of the blue, i drove the car on saturday on the highway, and i didn't have a problem. Monday morning drove for 3 miles and thought it was just a lot of smoke at first, but then ended up smelling like a fire. Pulled over after 10 minutes of city driving, hopefully didn't destroy everything. The techs did pull the ccv and either saw taht it was damaged or came to that conclusion.. either way its off so it will be replaced for a second time in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    Mech did compression test, they seem to think its ccv. I did have massive amounts of smoke, and he said that the ccv caused all the oil to be dumped through the intake.
    It was out of the blue, i drove the car on saturday on the highway, and i didn't have a problem. Monday morning drove for 3 miles and thought it was just a lot of smoke at first, but then ended up smelling like a fire. Pulled over after 10 minutes of city driving, hopefully didn't destroy everything. The techs did pull the ccv and either saw taht it was damaged or came to that conclusion.. either way its off so it will be replaced for a second time in 2 years.
    Wow that sucks. So glad that its not a head gasket though.

Did you take a lot of short trips in cold weather after the ccv was replaced 2 years ago? I'm surprised it failed so quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast